PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

obc83

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 4, 2023
I've always been intrigued by these, especially the ones marketed as a "survival" tool. I'm a sucker for the concept in general. Anyway, why don't many pipe smoker seem to use these? Is it the fuel taste? I know some people dislike Zippos for that reason. Others however, swear by them. Especially in the pipe config. Anyone use one? Anyone tried one and can say why they don't anymore? Thanks. Stock image for reference.
The-Permanent-Match-trendowner-640x534~2.jpg

Reactions: FLDRD
H

HRPufnstuf

My father had one for years, lost in time. I would use it if I found it, out of nostalgia. They are an interesting niche in lighter development, alongside trench lighters...which I have. I also have a Zippo pipe lighter, which I rarely use for the reason you mentioned; lighter fuel tends to taint the initial flavour of the tobacco. It's even worse if you must relight. From a collector's point of view, I would say a permanent match is a must have, though.

Reactions: obc83

Green Hill piper

Can't Leave
Feb 1, 2023
I've always been intrigued by these, especially the ones marketed as a "survival" tool. I'm a sucker for the concept in general. Anyway, why don't many pipe smoker seem to use these? Is it the fuel taste? I know some people dislike Zippos for that reason. Others however, swear by them. Especially in the pipe config. Anyone use one? Anyone tried one and can say why they don't anymore? Thanks. Stock image for reference.
View attachment 250094
I have one, but they are tricky to light.

quietlife

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2022
They are super cool, I bought 5 of them for my brother's stocking last Christmas.
I keep one in my camping stuff now, and one in my pipe room.

As far as smoking---the flame is way too hard to control. Its pretty big and i wouldn't try it with any nice pipe out there. Maybe with one of my abused pipes i'll try it haha

Green Hill piper

Can't Leave
Feb 1, 2023
Just buy a Zippo. The endless matches use Zippo fluid and I think the taste of fluids is more with the match. They are cool just to have one but remember, you will have to deal with rubber washers and keeping it full. Also you have to strike HARD in just the right way to get flame.

Dave760

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2023
Pittsburgh, PA
Regarding Zippos: I tried one when I was young and the taste of the fluid was awful. But about a decade ago a friend recommended trying again with Ronsonol fluid, and I'm now a happy Zippo user. I can't taste anything from the lighter when I use it.

I still keep matches around, but goodness knows why as I never use them.

obc83

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 4, 2023
Thanks guys, looks like I'll be sticking with bic for now. Wasn't really considering one for an every day lighter, but more curious about why they weren't more popular, especially among a group who historically used the hell out of some matches. Apparently, they suck. The more you know.

Jbrewer2002

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2023
Somerset Ohio
I used to have one that my Grandpa gave me when I was younger. It was a pain to use. I’m not sure what even happened to it. I do wish I could find it as it was my Grandpas. I keep flint and steel or magnesium block for survival. They never go bad.

Reactions: HRPufnstuf

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I have three of them that I bought to add to my collection. I've used all three and like with a Zippo I wait a couple of seconds before lighting my pipe.

My only complaint about them was the lighter fluid either evaporated or leaked out too fast.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
I've been curious about these for awhile but never pulled the trigger on one. I use a brass Zippo with a pipe insert. It's never failed me. I stocked up on fluid during site wide sales years ago.