PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

grimpuffer

Can't Leave
Aug 29, 2016
No other nation may revere Mark Twain more than India. They realize there what I’ve known all my life, that Clemons used Saturday Night Live satire to denounce a wide range of sins long before Mel Brooks and Blazing Saddles.

dspace.christcollegeijk.edu.in:8080/jspui/bitstream/123456789/1106/22/CCASAEGR29.pdf

Clemons was for social Justice.

The well meaning people with tender ears who promote “safe spaces” on college campuses should go work for the other side, where they’d be more appreciated.:)

I honestly don't think anyone wants to claim those "well meaning" people because there is nothing virtuous in their crusade.

Its the pure cancellation of any ideas, thoughts, or opinions they disagree with. Even that of classical literature and film.

I am so glad I can still watch and read the classics without a Surgeon Generals warning plastered to it stating, "This movie or book may offend you so turn back now if you are not in a safe space" :LOL:

It is sad though to see so many of these be taken out of modern curriculum because people refuse to see it as it was written during that time.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I have owned two new Peterson's. Both of which gurgled like no other. That was on my first few years of being a pipe smoker. I sold them both off. I have a feeling now, that they wouldn't gurgle now that I know what I'm doing. Neither of them were plips. I was afraid of roof rash. Every pipe I own, points the smoke at the roof of my mouth anyways, by the way I let them hang. So really this is all mute points.

I was given a Peterson, as a rejected refurb by a friend. This is the first plip I have ever experienced. And I must say that they way it sits in my teeth is extremely comfortable. The smoke goes to my roof anyways, so this shouldnt be a problem.

Guess I'll add one to the list. ?

OldWill

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 9, 2022
Blanco, Texas
Arrow Rich is a rare treasure, a town time forgot, former home of George Caleb Bingham.

Per capita Missouri has more state parks than any other state, behind only California and New York in raw numbers, and it’s thanks to a tiny sales tax we’ve had over forty years now.

What would grieve “Ma” Agee, who wrote for sixty years as Missouri’s most beloved hillbilly humorist author in The Index, is we rank dead last in schoolteacher pay.

My grandmother regularly hosted people like Vance Randolph at her home in Hermitage.

I was a kid when we drove Ma Agee to visit Arrow Rock. I have photos of it someplace.

George Caleb Bingham had a nearly new house in Jackson County. The Yankees imprisoned the innocent sisters, mothers, and wives of Quantrill’s partisan rangers there in Bingham’s house.

The Yankees opened up holes in the walls, undermining the structure, and when it collapsed the slaughter of the imprisoned women was horrible.

When news reached the rebel camp, they mounted up and headed out for Lawrence Kansas, to hang Jim Lane.

The retaliatory nature of the attack on Lawrence was confirmed by the survivors. According to Castel, "The universal testimony of all the ladies and others who talked with the butchers of the 21st ult. is that these demons claimed they were here to revenge the wrongs done their families by our men under Lane, Jennison, Anthony and Co."[6]Charles L. Robinson, the first Governor of Kansas and an eyewitness to the raid, also characterized the attack as an act of vengeance: "Before this raid the entire border counties of Missouri had experienced more terrible outrages than ever the Quantrill raid at Lawrence... There was no burning of feet and torture by hanging in Lawrence as there was in Missouri, neither were women and children outraged."[7] Robinson explained that Quantrill targeted Lawrence because Jayhawkers had attacked Missouri "as soon as war broke out" and Lawrence was "headquarters for the thieves and their plunder."[7]

—-

Missouri is brimming over with history.

Arrow Rock is one of almost a hundred state parks where it still comes alive.
My maternal grandparents lived in Benton's original cabin in Arrow Rock in the 1920's, and lost their first baby to the post-war Spanish Flu Epidemic there. When the state bought the property after WWII, they consulted her with regard to the decor of her time. Today it is a small Benton museum. Her father arrested the only man in memory ever incarcerated in the stone cell in the woods built to house runaway slaves....he was freed before morning because of his panicked screaming. I've got many Arrow Rock stories.

Reactions: edger

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
As good ole Mr. B. Lee once said, "Son, I like me a good Peterson pipe. A fine pipe indeed... now... let me tell you about a Lee. Back in my day, Harry Hogstand use to chainsaw all his cows but he never planted a single tomato. You could get tomatoes for about the price of a good Camel cigarette. But cigarettes never were basted in olive oil and treated by trained artisans who knew how to pick quality briar, the best in the nation after WW2.... (and so on and so on...) LOL

All in good fun...

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
As good ole Mr. B. Lee once said, "Son, I like me a good Peterson pipe. A fine pipe indeed... now... let me tell you about a Lee. Back in my day, Harry Hogstand use to chainsaw all his cows but he never planted a single tomato. You could get tomatoes for about the price of a good Camel cigarette. But cigarettes never were basted in olive oil and treated by trained artisans who knew how to pick quality briar, the best in the nation after WW2.... (and so on and so on...) LOL

All in good fun...
And they cornered the briar market with their cunning purchase of the World War II briar reserve.

Reactions: FLDRD

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Lee bought some briar. Yes, this is true. Why one would think it was the ONLY briar available in America or the free world, I have no idea. But there you have it.
But it was magic briar… Carved by the master’s hand and crafted into the finest smoking instrument known to man. Soaked in the oil of Aphrodite, the sweetest smoking pipe in the world.

Adorned with hand poured stars of fine jeweler’s gold in their quality German vulcanite stems, that featured a unique hidden screw in fitment that bested the lowly Kaywoodie…