PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I have had a Peterson pipe in my stable of pipes for over 30 years.

I currently own about 70 Peterson pipes in a number of finishes, lines, price categories, etc.

Every so often I like to look at the newer Petersons available. Seems there are a lot more dark finished pipes recently. Deluxe Systems are one of my favorites, and the classic orange shade finishes seem to be lacking lately. I’m not a fan of dark finished smooth pipes. And there seem to be more rusticated or sandblasted Deluxe Systems nowadays too…

Ksigel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 16, 2021
Connecticut
I also own more Peterson's than I care to count . I did count, and my wife asked me "How many?" I would be in a tough spot. So now, without lying I simply say "I don't know". Humor aside, I have been buying some real tired ones and restoring them. Steve Laug and others have been a big help. Now on to color. I find it perplexing too. I have noticed that the older deluxe ones seem to be more vibrant when I get them cleaned up. As to your comment about more rusticated and sandblasted ones I agree. That has driven the cost of nice smooth estate deluxe pipes through the roof on eBay. I just finished bringing back (in my limited way) a 1981 rusticated 65. Once I got through the layers of grime it has a nicer red brown than the newer ones. Maybe just wear on the black second part of the stain? Dunno.

Ksigel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 16, 2021
Connecticut
Yes. The smaller shapes aren’t getting the prices. I did my newbie best on a 124. Tried to sell it on eBay - no bids. Conversely a rusticated bulldog sold almost immediately for a “best offer” higher than I expected. Pics below

• Wow
Reactions: anotherbob

NC TX ID pipeman

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 25, 2021
North Carolina,Texas,Idaho
I have noticed several times that regular sand blast looks better in person than PSB finish...But there is no better than orange natural finish or eventually terra cotta and occasionally flame grain ...

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I have noticed several times that regular sand blast looks better in person than PSB finish...But there is no better than orange natural finish or eventually terra cotta and occasionally flame grain ...
I will agree that there are some regular sandblasts that do look better than the PSB's. But I think the pattern of ring on the PSB's is overall a little better. There may be an area on the regular sandblasts that veers in a slightly different direction, whereas the pattern is more consistent on the PSB's.

I ordered a Milverton PSB several months back, only to send it back due to fit and finish issues. Having only held one example in my hand, I did notice the edges on the sandblast rings were somewhat rounded over, and not quite as striking as those on the regular sandblast examples I've held. But as I said, that's just one example.

Ksigel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 16, 2021
Connecticut
I have had a Peterson pipe in my stable of pipes for over 30 years.

I currently own about 70 Peterson pipes in a number of finishes, lines, price categories, etc.

Every so often I like to look at the newer Petersons available. Seems there are a lot more dark finished pipes recently. Deluxe Systems are one of my favorites, and the classic orange shade finishes seem to be lacking lately. I’m not a fan of dark finished smooth pipes. And there seem to be more rusticated or sandblasted Deluxe Systems nowadays too…
Wonder if it’s a price point issue or a lack of good briar,

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Peterson has always made claims about the high end smooths like Rosslares, and it's something like 3 or 5% of the bowls turned are good enough to be fill free and have decent grain. So if you split that 5% over all the better smooth lines, Harp, DeLuxe, Supreme, Rosslare etc, yeah, you're not gonna see too many of them.

JohnMosesBrowning

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 5, 2018
Southeast Michigan
They seem to be making WAY more of the rusticated pipes and now they've gone and darkened the Aran line. They just came out with the dark Tyrone's last year (or so) and now they've really darkened the Arans for some reason. I think they look horrible and I'm really sad about it. I thought a smooth Aran with a nickel band was about as warm and classy looking as you could get.

Reactions: craig61a

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I’ve got two Peterson’s and I love them. I haven’t smoked a pipe for 30 years but I think it’s cool you can tell the difference in older and newer models.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Yeah, the finish has darkened even compared to 5 years ago. Their natural finish was rather Ok, but the lighter shade of walnut finish was real joy to look at. I still like their terracotta, but prefer little redder ones.