PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

originalnutcracker

Can't Leave
Feb 26, 2018
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I have a House Pipe - it’s a beast, but a lonely beast. I have also completely blown my pipe budget.

So as luck would have it, SP.com posted a pair of rather lovely looking terracotta Pub Pipes. Now they look like a classic Peterson Oom Paul, and considering my origins, they have a strong appeal.

Before dropping $300+ CAD, I was wanting to canvas some opinions on Pub Pipes. It clearly wouldn’t be suited to my usual lunting commute to work (when the weather is not so foul)

How do they smoke? Any huge fans out there? I think Paul Kruger liked his, and it did irritate Her Majesty at the time.........

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
I've got a few of the D18's, I think it's the same shape as the Pub, including the Founder's Edition. I don't reach for it often. It's a HUGE bowl, very tall, and much larger than my B42 Darwin (which is what I reach for when I want a long evening smoke). You could always try the shape in one of the more budget lines to see if you like it. Here's an article on it:
Peterson D18 – Peterson Pipe Notes

NC TX ID pipeman

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 25, 2021
North Carolina,Texas,Idaho
Can not comment on pub pipes but when I was at the market for one and see both at the same time in person I rather chose a House pipe..It looked more balanced and nicer ....Shape of Pub pipe was a little off for my eye something did not lined up in a design of it....But you already got a House pipe...well seeing a videos of Pub pipes on YT they look great...But..I love my house pipe smoke it often and bought another-a terra cotta house pipe last year which is so beautiful I did not make myself to smoke it yet...Those pipes are so robust you can almost use it as personal protection or drive a nail...If you like a pub pipe shape get one..Terra cotta pipes do not come to the market often and have a better resale value than cheaper variants...

indoeuro

Jul 30, 2019
Central Texas
I have a House Pipe - it’s a beast, but a lonely beast. I have also completely blown my pipe budget.

So as luck would have it, SP.com posted a pair of rather lovely looking terracotta Pub Pipes. Now they look like a classic Peterson Oom Paul, and considering my origins, they have a strong appeal.

Before dropping $300+ CAD, I was wanting to canvas some opinions on Pub Pipes. It clearly wouldn’t be suited to my usual lunting commute to work (when the weather is not so foul)

How do they smoke? Any huge fans out there? I think Paul Kruger liked his, and it did irritate Her Majesty at the time.........
Well, this is fortuitous! My brand, spanking new pub pipe just came in. Smoked my first bowl in it yesterday.
First off, It's definitely big, but I don't think obnoxiously so. I gather that it's smaller than the house pipe, though I don't know how that translates since the pub pipe is a System and the house pipe has that chunky Peterson esthetic in addition to being outsized.
Fit and finish is spectacular. That's a low bar for my collection, as most of the rest of my System pipes were estate purchases bought to be workhorses.
Smoking characteristics are somewhere north of perfect. Aggravatingly good.
The caveat here is that, for me, the pub pipe is a Venn diagram of delight. One circle is full bent billiards, the other is System pipes, and there's me in the middle looking like I got away with something.

NC TX ID pipeman

Dec 25, 2021
North Carolina,Texas,Idaho
View attachment 123194
These are my Terracota. I also have a sandblasted not in the photo. But whichever the style of pub pipe, the pipe itself is a wonderful shape for me.
you got 3 terra cotta Pub pipes and smoke them all?I gues everybody is different but i do not get it to have 3 same pipes in the same finish..well I do have 2 Mark Twains in different finishes ,2 house pipes diff finish and one time I considered another Mark Twain in a finish I already have cause it was a good deal but did not get it and I was a little sad after that..someby else was faster to buy it...

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
you got 3 terra cotta Pub pipes and smoke them all?I gues everybody is different but i do not get it to have 3 same pipes in the same finish..well I do have 2 Mark Twains in different finishes ,2 house pipes diff finish and one time I considered another Mark Twain in a finish I already have cause it was a good deal but did not get it and I was a little sad after that..someby else was faster to buy it...
Yeah, I've never been one who wanted multiples of the same pipe or even same pipe but different finish. Closest I've come is this shape which I love. So, have a rusticated Founder's Edition and an oak pub pipe. The FE is sufficiently different in not only having a rusticated finish but also in having a tapered stem. I love large deeply bent pipes. That's why I also have the rusticated bent house pipe. Nothing but total satisfaction with my pub pipe.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
When you really enjoy a pipe, two or three of them isn't too many. I have two Peterson B11 brandy sitters in different finishes, and two Stanwell 32 bulldogs in slightly different finishes. I'm enjoying my new Sav Pannocchia, a 606 KS bent billiard with rusticated carving on the corncob theme, with a narrow green band and a bright yellow stem. Enjoy your pipes.