PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Bought a cheap Standard System B42 Heritage about a year ago. Smoked it a few times, then put it back in the closet.

I pulled it out yesterday since it is dedicated to C&D Sun Bear, and even though it’s cold and snowy, I was in the mood for Sun Bear.

Smoked a couple bowls, and the thing I noticed was the wiggly stem. The tenon on the stem only engaged the mortise by about 0.200”. There was no “System”, indeed the chimney came nowhere near going past the airway.

So I went to the shop and started reworking it.

I had to take material off the tenon so that the stem would seat properly, and come forward enough to provide the “System” function.

While I was doing this, I noticed the nickle band was loose and spinning around, so I glued that back in place.

Finally, the bend on the stem was all wonky. A sharp bend in the middle with gradual bend going towards the back, and the bit being pointed at a bit more of an extreme downward angle than required. The bit was twisted in relation to the rest of the stem, and the saddle was tweaked off the right hand side slightly. So I did a reset on the stem and bent and set it properly.

I wiped the stummel and gave it a little buff with white diamond. The briar looks like heartwood. There were several small putty filled sandpits that revealed themselves. I may just restain the stummel black…

4-DDF68-E4-0-D78-4816-870-D-16-DF312382-E3.png

6-AD4192-C-7834-48-B9-8-C6-A-D104-AB868701.jpg

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
Nice work!

In the second image the bowl appears to be more canted than in the first image.

This may just be an optical illusion due to the slightly different position of the pipe in the two images or maybe it’s a result of the work you did on the stem?

Either way it looks great!

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
There used to be a person who provided a service regarding fountain pens from factories with a spotty record. He would test and tune each pen before selling it, so for a few extra bucks, you knew you wouldn’t get a lemon.

Often with Peterson, I wish there was such a service. Remove the bowl coating and any stain inside bowl or shank. Remove excess stain from outside as well so it won’t transfer to hands. Fix the drilling. Then sell it for a premium.

Reactions: romaso and craig61a

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Often with Peterson, I wish there was such a service. Remove the bowl coating and any stain inside bowl or shank. Remove excess stain from outside as well so it won’t transfer to hands. Fix the drilling. Then sell it for a premium.
AH, Pete detailer tycoon...

I don't see that that would be much of a going concern. When you figure the time, overhead, prepping shipping, etc. and then take into consideration that most people are cheap bastards, well, who needs the frustration...

• Sad
Reactions: Casual

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Photos don't open for me, but it sounds like you did just what is needed. I think you had some pipe to work with and that it will deliver for you for years to come. The factory should have done all this for you. I have been lucky or blessed with Petersons; mine have been functional and durable, all low and mid-range priced.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Photos don't open for me, but it sounds like you did just what is needed. I think you had some pipe to work with and that it will deliver for you for years to come. The factory should have done all this for you. I have been lucky or blessed with Petersons; mine have been functional and durable, all low and mid-range priced.
Liked the shape. I have another B42, a 2012 Walnut Spigot.
I suppose I could have returned it when I got it... but I smoked it a few times, and then put it away for almost a year.

The main issue was that the engagement of the stem/mortise was so small. It wobbled around quite a bit, and I didn't want the stummel to fall off and hit the floor mid smoke.

I may have one or two other Heritage finishes. I'm not all that impressed with the aesthetics of the wood used.

I will say that I really like the jet black stain on the one I just completed.

0F850070-258D-4A98-BB5C-66A8C748ED58.jpeg

Last edited: