PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I can't imagine Charles Peterson putting his name to these pipes. Yet the corporate body that bought the rights to the name is happy to do so. Such is the power of branding.
The corporate body that bought the rights to the name needs to make money. That's why they bought the rights to the name. Imagine if every business decision was based on whether they thought Charles Peterson would do it.

Hmmm... Actually....

joshuaburgess

Lurker
Jun 30, 2014
Re: "The corporate body that bought the rights to the name"

We bought rather more than the rights to the name. There is a factory full of employees, briar, and machines sitting in Sallynoggin. Some of our tools were actually used by Charles Peterson. We've got craftsmen in the factory who are just a couple of steps removed in their training lineage from people that Charles Peterson trained personally. We've even got a box of pretty cool stuff that once belonged to Charles Peterson; I think we even have his mustache comb and walking stick.

"Imagine if every business decision was based on whether they thought Charles Peterson would do it."

Believe it or not, Charles Peterson actually features pretty heavily in our internal discussions about what kind of pipes we should make and how we should make them. I haven't gone so far as to order WWCPD bracelets for all of us to wear yet, but it's not a bad thought. We try to be pretty darn faithful to Charles Peterson's vision for the company. And I'm pretty confident that if we could bring Charles Peterson down to Sallynoggin today, he'd be more at home in the factory than at various points in our past.

And let's also remember that the guy was pretty innovative. He did things that were much more revolutionary than a green stem--that whole P-Lip and System patent comes to mind. So I like to think that if Peterson himself could pick up an SPD 2022 pipe, he'd probably give that green stem a little chuckle and a sly smile.

virginiapiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2013
Virginia
I’ve been trying to collect a 68-shaped SPD pipe from every year (possibly because the first briar I purchased was the 2005 year SPD in that shape). While this rustication and green stem combo isn’t my favorite, I also disliked the pictures the green stained bowl and yellow-orange stem combination of the 2018. Then I saw it in-person and adored it.

I’ll be picking up a 68 and a 124. I’ve been on a Zulu/yachtsman/whatever kick recently, and don’t yet have a Pete in that shape. YMMV

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
While I've never been a fan of rustication (some love it of course), I kinda dig the stems. Helps my favorite color is green I guess.

Since Laudisi acquired Peterson I think maybe they've been more picky about which stummels get a smooth finish.

Duck

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2021
Edinburgh
'm pretty confident that if we could bring Charles Peterson down to Sallynoggin today, he'd be more at home in the factory than at various points in our past.
Bring back this shape, please? After all, it was The notoriety gained by Kruger buying one of these that made the Peterson name famous. I'd prefer it with a nice Cumberland stem, rather than green.Screenshot_20220119-144403.png

joshuaburgess

Lurker
Jun 30, 2014
Bring back this shape, please? After all, it was The notoriety gained by Kruger buying one of these that made the Peterson name famous. I'd prefer it with a nice Cumberland stem, rather than green.View attachment 122772
It is a nice shape. I have on my desk at the factory a cartoon image of Charles Peterson smoking this shape. We're always looking for potential shapes to revive.

Is that photo your personal pipe?

pipesandscotch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 29, 2010
Northeast PA
Just my opinion, but it seems to me that they are using lower (aesthetic) quality
briar, rusticating or dark staining the lower price point pipes.

In prior years the stummels showed some grain. Now it mostly looks like heartwood.
I like the Pete's I have. Not a die-hard fan like many here, and not wanting to offend, but in my opinion, it's one unattractive pipe. I don't really get it.

NC TX ID pipeman

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 25, 2021
North Carolina,Texas,Idaho
Bring back this shape, please? After all, it was The notoriety gained by Kruger buying one of these that made the Peterson name famous. I'd prefer it with a nice Cumberland stem, rather than green.View attachment 122772
Hell yeah!!! I wonder why they did not bring those epical patent shapes back yet...

NC TX ID pipeman

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 25, 2021
North Carolina,Texas,Idaho
I have S.Pat.Day pipe from 2011...Briar is fantastic -XL 02 smooth pipe smokes excellent and no burnout of any kind in the bowl...It went through hell...Quality briar...My second from 2021 I bought because of turquoise thick stem and shape I do not have...rustication looks great at the person and pipe holds up great till today...But 2022 rustication looks a little different-unatractive and thin stems are no no for me so I will pass on those...