PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

NC TX ID pipeman

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 25, 2021
North Carolina,Texas,Idaho
It really would be nice if they make Mark Twain shape st Patrick day pipes,140 anniversary SPD pipe,Patent era house pipe SPD pipe and Darwin SPD pipe with tapered stem...And how about OOM Paul shape SPD pipe?.They would be gone in one day...sold out...They would not even have to put green color on them ....

Reactions: Streeper541

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
I only have a few St. Paddy's pipes. One from 1999 (one of my first Peterson's) a 2008 green, a 2014 & a 2016.

I wanted a 2017 150 bulldog very badly but missed out.

What I really wish would make a comback is the St. Paddy's Day tobacco. It was one of the few special tobaccos I would purchase and was hit at my annual St. Patrick's Day get together for a few years.Peterson-Tobacco-2018.jpg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I only have a few St. Paddy's pipes. One from 1999 (one of my first Peterson's) a 2008 green, a 2014 & a 2016.

I wanted a 2017 150 bulldog very badly but missed out.

What I really wish would make a comback is the St. Paddy's Day tobacco. It was one of the few special tobaccos I would purchase and was hit at my annual St. Patrick's Day get together for a few years.View attachment 122933
The 2015 and 2016 blends were amazing.?

JAWz

Lurker
Apr 16, 2022
California (San Joaquin County)
Just received my SPD 2022, and I was so anxious to get it... upon opening and inspecting, I found a curious thing, what appears to be an old stamp under the SPD stamp. I was shocked since it looks like they took a "old" or different pipe and buffed (tried) off the old stamp and re-stamped it.
Is this factory? Or I am a victim of some scam? But seriously, what could be the explanation?
If you look close you can see the old stamp text behind.

Attachments

• 20220416_120243-01.jpeg
    20220416_120243-01.jpeg
    135.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 20220416_120243-01-01.jpeg
    20220416_120243-01-01.jpeg
    189.5 KB · Views: 12

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Those 2017 St. Pat's pipes are well done, appropriate to the holiday but good any time. I've been lucky with Petes. Never broke the bank buying one, but they've all turned out solid quality and good smokers. Somehow I got through their QC crisis without a lemon. I even like my P-lip, though it isn't my "thing," a little too much bit in my mouth, but a change of pace when it comes around in rotation. The P-lip is a 999 (Rhodesian), one of their classic designs.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Just received my SPD 2022, and I was so anxious to get it... upon opening and inspecting, I found a curious thing, what appears to be an old stamp under the SPD stamp. I was shocked since it looks like they took a "old" or different pipe and buffed (tried) off the old stamp and re-stamped it.
Is this factory? Or I am a victim of some scam? But seriously, what could be the explanation?
If you look close you can see the old stamp text behind.
I just checked mine and it's not double stamped. If you're not happy with it...return it. You have 30 days as long you didn't smoke it. I exchanged mine because the Peterson stamp was very faint...It read Pet on, the ers was almost invisible. That may not matter to some, but to me it does.

Reactions: Reggie

JAWz

Lurker
Apr 16, 2022
I feel like since this is a special edition it should be readily identified as such. And having the stamp show distinct would be important.
I read all the time how when the stamp is partially removed by buffing during refurbishment it decreases the value.
Then I was thinking perhaps this makes it "rare" like a double stamped coin. Not sure if there is any precedence for this?

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I feel like since this is a special edition it should be readily identified as such. And having the stamp show distinct would be important.
I read all the time how when the stamp is partially removed by buffing during refurbishment it decreases the value.
Then I was thinking perhaps this makes it "rare" like a double stamped coin. Not sure if there is any precedence for this?
Since classic shapes were used for this line, it's not a stretch of the imagination that a stummel that was already made got buffed out and restamped for this release. It seems clear that it was done by the factory. Keeping it all depends on if you don't mind the double stamp.

I have a Dunhill that was used for promotional purposes and has NOT FOR SALE stamped on top of the normal stamp. It's kinda like an LP with a gold PROMOTIONAL USE ONLY stamp, which I find cool.

IMG_20220215_003027.jpg

IMG_20220215_002951.jpg

I have a Savinelli Giubileo d'Oro that has a double stamp on the model number. It bugs me because I think of the double stamp as a flaw on what is supposed to be the highest quality version of their regular line; however, the 660 model is so rarely seen to begin with, and because it's a Giubileo d'Oro on top of that, I bought it anyway. I like to think "the devil made me do it."

IMG_20220318_235557.jpg

IMG_20220318_235536.jpg

If the pipe you got remains unsmoked, I'm sure they'll allow you to exchange it for one with a single stamp. Their Customer Service Department is pretty solid and if you request something, they'll follow through. It's up to you what to do. With the original stamp being buffed out, and being restamped by Peterson means it was issued by the marque; it's not like some schmuck with a metal die did it in his basement trying to get over on eBay. There certainly will be no other pipe 100% exactly like yours for what that's worth.

JAWz

Lurker
Apr 16, 2022
Since classic shapes were used for this line, it's not a stretch of the imagination that a stummel that was already made got buffed out and restamped for this release. It seems clear that it was done by the factory. Keeping it all depends on if you don't mind the double stamp.

I have a Dunhill that was used for promotional purposes and has NOT FOR SALE stamped on top of the normal stamp. It's kinda like an LP with a gold PROMOTIONAL USE ONLY stamp, which I find cool.

View attachment 140476

View attachment 140477

I have a Savinelli Giubileo d'Oro that has a double stamp on the model number. It bugs me because I think of the double stamp as a flaw on what is supposed to be the highest quality version of their regular line; however, the 660 model is so rarely seen to begin with, and because it's a Giubileo d'Oro on top of that, I bought it anyway. I like to think "the devil made me do it."

View attachment 140474

View attachment 140475

If the pipe you got remains unsmoked, I'm sure they'll allow you to exchange it for one with a single stamp. Their Customer Service Department is pretty solid and if you request something, they'll follow through. It's up to you what to do. With the original stamp being buffed out, and being restamped by Peterson means it was issued by the marque; it's not like some schmuck with a metal die did it in his basement trying to get over on eBay. There certainly will be no other pipe 100% exactly like yours for what that's worth.
Thanks for sharing this.

Reactions: TheIronMonkey
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
It sounds like you should return it, then. No amount of staring at it will make the SPD stamp deeper. I learned something from book collecting years ago. The UK edition of Martin Amis's third novel, Success, has a bright red dust jacket that is prone to fading on the spine because of exposure to sunlight when sitting on a shelf. I had bought a beautiful copy, but, you could tell the spine was a tiny bit lighter than the front panel. I can't tell you how many times I pulled it off the shelf to look at the fading. It eventually occurred to me that no amount of staring at it would make the spine unfaded. I returned it and waited until I got a flawless copy. It took time, but, patience eventually won out. I knew I would never be happy with the one with the faded spine. If something is important to you, don't settle. Return your pipe for another one and make sure they check the stamping for you.

JAWz

Lurker
Apr 16, 2022
It sounds like you should return it, then. No amount of staring at it will make the SPD stamp deeper. I learned something from book collecting years ago. The UK edition of Martin Amis's third novel, Success, has a bright red dust jacket that is prone to fading on the spine because of exposure to sunlight when sitting on a shelf. I had bought a beautiful copy, but, you could tell the spine was a tiny bit lighter than the front panel. I can't tell you how many times I pulled it off the shelf to look at the fading. It eventually occurred to me that no amount of staring at it would make the spine unfaded. I returned it and waited until I got a flawless copy. It took time, but, patience eventually won out. I knew I would never be happy with the one with the faded spine. If something is important to you, don't settle. Return your pipe for another one and make sure they check the stamping for you.
I think that's what I will have to do. I contacted them and they said they would inspect before shipping another. I am awaiting response/confirmation on Monday.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I very recently received an Autograph pipe directly from Savinelli in Italy, only to discover there were grinding marks on the inner facet edge.

IMG_20220327_185822.jpgI smoked it, intending to keep it, but, mentioned this flaw in an e-mail. They contacted me right away with an apology and an offer to polish it, all expenses and duties covered. It's on its way back to Italy to be fixed.

Reactions: edger