PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

badbriar

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
A few questons on the differences between these. First, the IV lists a run of 7500 tins. Is the V also limited to that low run?
jiminks described that close attention needed to be used here, as the two blends share much the same tobaccos and the tastes were apparently close at times. So, what is the overall difference between these two limited releases?
Are they both stout blends with bold tastes?
inquiring minds want to know!

ADKPiper

Dec 13, 2020
Adirondack Mountains
I'm waiting for a couple tins of the V. I'm wondering how similar it will be to the Crumble Kake Rustica No. 5. I liked that. Is pipe force No. V a repackaged CK No. 5? Hmmmm... I wonder.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I'm waiting for a couple tins of the V. I'm wondering how similar it will be to the Crumble Kake Rustica No. 5. I liked that. Is pipe force No. V a repackaged CK No. 5? Hmmmm... I wonder.

I don't think so—the Rustica in Pipe Force V has been prepared as a Cavendish, supposedly never done before. It has softer notes than Mac Baren HH Rustica, but still packs a wallop. I smoked three consecutive bowls of Pipe Force V during a Zoom call with a friend the other week, and at the end of the three hours, I felt the nic hit big time. It seems deceptively mellow, but is not.

Reactions: renfield

Puffaluffaguss

Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
Just got my tin of V I'm holding of on lV but it looks like there is much more of the IV then the V out in the wild. I don't know the run of V it doesn't say on the tin I have so I'm just going by the numbers at tobacco pipes. They have way less of the V the IV. I'm debating opening it maybe soon.

Reactions: jbfrady

aztecbull

Might Stick Around
Aug 31, 2023
Saw quite some mixed reviews on the IV but the reviews on the V are all quite positive. Waiting for a few tins of the V.

Reactions: jbfrady

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
I’m not a lat fan, so I skipped IV. V is pretty good, but I’ve not got a lot of rustica experience.
I’m looking forward to VI of all the descriptors of the series I’ve seen.

Ash Cooper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2023
Greenville, SC
www.instagram.com
Resmoked a bowl of the Pipe Force episode V in my Halloween themed sandblasted bent Peterson. Here's a few things I noticed. Since it was in a sample bag that's had a week or more open air to it I can't speak for fresh tin notes or moisture levels. They seemed relatively moist and easy to manipulate. The crumble cake is really dark, a testament to the stoved rustica and virginia. While I'd like to say it has a campfire note to it, I imagined more of a bbq terriyaki smell profile. Taste lingering is that Hibachi flavor you might get after a well prepared Japanese stirfry. While smoking that Katerini is like an indescribable umami. You know it's there but it tastes nothing like you have the terms to describe. That stoved rustica is very prominent and seems to permeat the virginia and mellow out the orientals. I found there to be a little throat spiciness you'd expect from initially eating a Cajun peanut but no lingering heat. It takes a little work to light properly but once it's going I didn't have any trouble keeping it lit down to the bottom. I over tamped it once and relit and it took well to the end of the bowl. I'd say it smoked very cool compared to many others I've had recently and you sort of forget you're smoking it after a while. The smell from my buddy's pipe (he was smoking the same thing) was bold and mesquite but without the sweetness from smoking a piece of meat. The nicotine hit came out of nowhere towards the end of the bowl and it lingered longer than I'd like. I wouldn't overload this bowl unless you like a good kick in the pants.

Grab yourself a tin of this and write an opinion piece of some ancient maritime battle in the Mediterranean or something. It's an extremely contemplative mixture IMO. I wouldn't smoke it but once or twice in the same day and definitely not an all day smoker.

If I had to critique this mixture, I'd get critical that they didn't lead with it and call this one episode IV. Also, the artwork, while well done doesn't make me want to open a tin at all. Would have preferred art that made me feel more like I was embarking on an epic quest rather than watching reruns of the original Star Trek.

ADKPiper

Dec 13, 2020
Adirondack Mountains
I don't think so—the Rustica in Pipe Force V has been prepared as a Cavendish, supposedly never done before. It has softer notes than Mac Baren HH Rustica, but still packs a wallop. I smoked three consecutive bowls of Pipe Force V during a Zoom call with a friend the other week, and at the end of the three hours, I felt the nic hit big time. It seems deceptively mellow, but is not.
Yes. I don't notice the Rustica as much in the Pipe Force as I do in the Crumble cake. Both are good and both are strong.

Reactions: TheIronMonkey