PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pentangle

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 21, 2011
Genova-Italy
I made this one with a lathe of my father in law.I haven't got fun and i think will never do another as i only like free hand pipes.The shape is a classic Savinelli and the briar even of a lesser quality than i usually use was without fills.Pipe is about group 6 of Dunhill sizeing.Nice to smoke not so funny to make :D
22972941.jpg

84249221.jpg

scotrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 24, 2011
OK, now THIS is more my kind of pipe!! (although I do love your other, large, chunky square pipes), but I adore the classic Savinelli and Dunhill billiard styles...great work!

pentangle

Jan 21, 2011
Genova-Italy
Billiard shape is probably the better choice, specially if stem is long.Smoke is cool and dry.Different question is the fun that i could get working with a lathe.Definitely.............no fun

gecko13

Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
Very nice work. I need to get a lathe. Maybe for Xmas. All my woodworking is in the square realm. (Although sometimes it's not as square as I intended...)
:roll:

pentangle

Jan 21, 2011
Genova-Italy
Isn't difficult to make round shapes even by hand,simply make a circle around the bowl hole and work around this circle with a rasp .Bowl will become round....... :)

pentangle

Jan 21, 2011
Genova-Italy
"Thats one gorgeous pipe, and might I add you have awesome luck when it comes to grain!"
I select the briar when i buy and if possible i follow the grain doing the drills.If the briar shows nice bird-eyes and angel hair grain,pipe needs a large top bowl.If shows one of these or none pipe needs a shape that can reveal some quality

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
Such a shame that your enjoyment in the actual making of that billiard isn't commensurate with the final result.

In other words, if you had as much fun making the thing as it is a damn good looking pipe, well, you'd be as happy as a puppy with two peters!
As with the others you've shared, very nice pipe!

Status
Not open for further replies.