PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

hoipolloiglasgow

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2023
United States
I'm always looking for something new that I haven't try in hopes to stock up/age. I like stronger Englishes/Balkans ie Nightcap, Quiet Nights, Margate, etc, but without the Latakia being to the point of being overbearing. Abingdon would be what I call overbearing. I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on Mac Barens HH Balkan that I've never had before. Any recommendations would be helpful.

hoipolloiglasgow

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2023
United States
Bill Bailey's Balkan Blend by Dan Tobacco is pretty tasty. I like the DFK in it.

Edit to add BlackHouse and WhiteKnight. Both are very good.
Wasn't the biggest fan of whiteknight, but thought blackhouse was okay. Never had Bill Bailey's, but have it in my cart. Seems like 10% Darkfired would be a good amount for a Balkan. I know I like Brebbia Balkan and it has DFK. I also love perique.

Reactions: Bright Orange Red

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Have you tried SPC Plum Pudding SR? It has lots going on in terms of flavor.

Also, a great English to try is SG Squadron Leader.

hoipolloiglasgow

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2023
United States
Have you tried SPC Plum Pudding SR? It has lots going on in terms of flavor.

Also, a great English to try is SG Squadron Leader.
I've tried both. The only SPC Plumpudding that I've had is the SR. Nice flavor, burn could be cooler, but over all decent. SL is a bit too light for me, however I love Skiff.

Anybody had the KBV English stuff? Like Dread Knight or Sleeping Dragon? Also, never have had Pease Maltese Falcon, Lagonda or Odyssey I'm interested in.

hoipolloiglasgow

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2023
United States
I haven't tried it yet, but maybe GLP Kensington? He calls it "a Balkan with restraint" meaning "a more delicate hand with the Latakia".
That is another one I haven't tried that I have looked into. I think I read he states that it is a little less full than Charing Cross, which I adore. Honestly, I'm trying to try all of them and there are still a few I haven't had yet.

Reactions: ThermionicScott

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
For a strong Balkan with good Orientals, I like C&D Super Balkan (it's got Burley in it) still creamy and fragrant Orientals

Another good one if Plumb Pudding is too sweet for you try their Wild Man , a bit rougher and more exotic.

If you want something pungent without as much Latakia as Night Cap Father Dempsey is nice and if you want something sour with less Latakia try Presbyterian.

Call me crazy but because of the balance Orientals and Red VA I consider Early Morning Pipe more of a Balkan than a proper English , since you mentioned Skiff and I find them comparable.

There are so many but I like the ones that stand out.
If you are a big fan of Skiff try Ashton Consummate Gentleman

Have Fun

The variety of Balkans is quite a rabbit hole.

Reactions: hoipolloiglasgow

BackwaterMN

Lurker
Dec 28, 2023
I concur with the feller above. C&D Super Balkan is excellent. The lat doesn't dominate and it packs a little oomph. Also available in bulk which is nice. You mentioned Maltese Falcon- Go ahead and pull the trigger on that one too. Excellent.

Last edited:

hoipolloiglasgow

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2023
United States
I concur with the feller above. C&D Super Balkan is excellent. The lat doesn't dominate and it packs a little oomph. Also available in bulk which is nice. You mentioned Maltese Falcon- Go ahead and pull the trigger on that one too. Excellent.
I think it's good stuff too. However, recently I bought some Brebbia Balkan and it topped it as far as Balkans with burley go! It's the best one IMHO in that category. Seriously, it's on up there with Vintage Syrian.

I've yet to see anyone comment on Mac Barens Balkan. Anyone know how it is? Wasn't super impressed with the latakia flake.

Last edited: