Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

coys

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2022
Missouri
I been thinking about what "school me" means. Then realized that my friends and I used it back in junior high. It means to take someone out at the end of school to give additional "schooling" by beating the shit out of them. Or am I thinking of some other term.
Means something like, “give me a crash course on this subject.”

visualmemory

Lurker
Sep 22, 2022
From WebMD

From Wikipedia:

Umami is the "proper" term to describe savory, but because savory has been relegated to a "class" of food and not a flavor, it is no longer really used to describe savory. So they aren't really different, and both terms are probably OK to use.

I think I agree with this. I've seen some people use umami to describe certain blends that have no business being "savory". There's very few blends I've had that I would describe using that word. Maybe something like HH Matured Virginias (which does have a meaty BBQ-like note to it), but most blends do not have a savory note. I've also read reviews describing blends as having worcestershire sauce notes to it...makes me wonder what the person ate before they smoked.
That worcestershire sauce part, call me simple minded, I've rushed to kitchen and took couple drops straight from the bottle. To me it tastes of vinegar and hot spices I think I would describe certain blends with Perique tasting like that.

phdaemon

Lurker
May 31, 2022
That worcestershire sauce part, call me simple minded, I've rushed to kitchen and took couple drops straight from the bottle. To me it tastes of vinegar and hot spices I think I would describe certain blends with Perique tasting like that.
Doesn't that sauce contain fish?

To each their own though! :)

visualmemory

Lurker
Sep 22, 2022
Yes it does. Fish sauce contains fermented fish and still tastes umami;) but don't make me elaborate. Maybe that's because my bottle of worcestershire is 2 years past expiration date but I can taste only something like balsamic vinegar and some hot spices.

• Haha
Reactions: phdaemon

phdaemon

Lurker
May 31, 2022
Yes it does. Fish sauce contains fermented fish and still tastes umami;) but don't make me elaborate. Maybe that's because my bottle of worcestershire is 2 years past expiration date but I can taste only something like balsamic vinegar and some hot spices.
Well, I've never tasted perique that tasted of "umami". Fruity, sure (Figs, raisins, dark fruits, etc). Spicy, yes. Has a bit of a pressure-type (maybe like white pepper) situation going on in the nose when you retro it, that too.

Vinegar, hmmm, are you sure the blend wasn't cased with a vinegar recipe? For example, Rouxgaroux, has a bit of a vinegar tin note to it, but I'm pretty sure that the casing and not the perique. And it doesn't really come through for me when I smoke it (same for McClelland's, the vinegar/ketchup doesn't come through when lit).

Now, if you were to tell me that you're getting umami notes from something like Kentucky or Lat, then I'd probably be more inclined to understand.

But palates are different for everyone so that's fine too.

visualmemory

Lurker
Sep 22, 2022
Well, talking about Kentucky, it's some BBQ note but only the "smoke" part. We take it by mental connection to "smoked meat" but that "meat" part isn't there.

Have never tried any McClelland's, only heard stories...

Got myself a pouch of Cabbie's mixture which is Virginia with Perique rolled together which was just pure vinegar, don't know it was something going wrong or "topping" or whatever. Not ketchup, apple cider, just pure white vinegar.

phdaemon

Lurker
May 31, 2022
Well, talking about Kentucky, it's some BBQ note but only the "smoke" part. We take it by mental connection to "smoked meat" but that "meat" part isn't there.

Have never tried any McClelland's, only heard stories...

Got myself a pouch of Cabbie's mixture which is Virginia with Perique rolled together which was just pure vinegar, don't know it was something going wrong or "topping" or whatever. Not ketchup, apple cider, just pure white vinegar.
Huh. If you ever try Mac Baren HH Matured Virginias, that one does have a meaty note to it. Like smoked meat exactly actually. But it does have a decent amount of Oriental and Kentucky fired in it. Plus the casing or topping adds that meatiness to it.

Pure white vinegar on a VaPer sounds like a casing or topping recipe component to me. I don't know of any tobacco that naturally has a Vinegar note. Especially one that comes through in the smoke. Fermented fruits, on the other hand, yeah that's more common.

I am curious, and i'm serious when I ask, have you had covid? A lot of people report their taste being impacted forever after having it, so I have to ask.

visualmemory

Lurker
Sep 22, 2022
As far as I know I haven't had. But maybe I just don't know I had?

Haven't tried Mac Baren HH Matured Virginias, maybe will if I find it here.

Talking about Cabbie's Mixture it was certainly something gone wrong in the making. Had one before and was rather fruity, no vinegar.

I've got tin of Red Vriginia (VaPer) of Mc Connell which got both fermented fruits and not very obvious note of cider vinegar but maybe that's part of the topping (and dash of pepper of course).

Papamique

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 11, 2020
Then after a severe ass eating for talking hillbilly finally wound down Mama would direct her son to one of the hundreds upon hundreds of books found in every old time Christian (only) home.
Im not sure about where you live, but the rest of America this is taboo at best and normally illegal.

Hahaha. Just bustin’ your chops. I’m sure it’s a typo…….right?

Makembake

Might Stick Around
Oct 24, 2022
Australia
There are a few different Periques. All are grown and fermented in Louisiana, near or around, the Mississippi river basin. Perique, like Cavendish, is less about what type of leaf it contains, and named more for the curing process.

To the discerning palette, each tastes different. It does mellow a bit and get even better with age.

Hope that answers your question.
Hey Streeper and thanks for your reply to this post. I'm another new pipe smoker and I much more enjoy getting my info and insights from these forums than from Google etc. I'm yet to try any blend with perique, but I just ordered a tin of Peterson's Elizabethan Mixture, so will soon have my introduction to this type of tobacco leaf. Thanks again!

Makembake

Might Stick Around
Oct 24, 2022
Australia
Think of perique as if it were a spice, like cinnamon. Not like cinnamon in flavor, but like if you use a little it adds sweetness, if you use a lot it is hot and peppery. A dash of perique gives the blend a whole different flavor than if you use a bunch. Also, how long the blend ages makes a big difference. Peppery turns to stewed fruit with pressure and age. A skilled blender can pull out many different flavors with just two ingredients, depending on variables of ratios, and how it’s processed. This is why we have hundreds of different VaPers.
Thanks for your reply to this post cosmicfolklore. I'm a new pipe smoker and am yet to try any blends with perique in them. Having said that, I have just this morning placed an order for Peterson's Elizabethan Mixture, so I will soon be having my first encounter with the hallowed perique! Thanks again for your post. As I mentioned to another member here, I so much prefer to get my info and insights from these forums than from the old Google searches etc.

Zeno Marx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2022
It's a burley, and there is not way of them knowing whether it will be peppery or fruity. Each barrel does its own dance and is a gamble.