PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Andre_T

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 17, 2018
Long Island, New York
MCI, I visited Hong Kong in 1970, and as I recall, the date of hand-over to the Chinese government, and the end of the British Crown Colony was 1997, though the culture hung on for a decade or so, when people still related strongly to the British traditions. When I was there, long lines of school kids were kitted out in blue school blazers and neckties, and English was spoken in a distinctly English way.

We had to go on liberty off the ship in our uniforms, so people knew immediately that we were Yanks. I was greatly amused that no matter what food or beverage I ordered, the wait person brought a tall bottle of catsup and set it in front of me.

A group of us sailors took a van tour with an attractive young woman that included a tram ride up Victoria peak to overlook the harbor and a trip out to a floating restaurant for Chinese food (no catsup) in a little scull propelled by an elderly woman who used only one oar off the stern.
I miss liberty in Hong Kong. I remember surprising my Captain as I bumped into him at The American Club. He was giving a pass as he held Command of a US Navy ship in port. I was invited by my father's friend who lived there. We were the only two from our ship allowed there. I think he was shocked and didn't know I had some kind of pull. I didn't dissuade him...