PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
I've looked into those after seeing yours. Where do people get em these days?

This makes it a little more worth keeping an eye on. This way you know people won't steal them. Or if they do you know it's yours. Why I initialed my Zippo with a Dremel.

Reactions: Meerly John

Rigby

Lurker
Jul 17, 2022
I just got my first ever Zippo with the pipe insert. Like most I wanted it for the iconic sound and nothing more practical than that. I was afraid it wouldn’t relight down to the bottom of the bowl but surprisingly it does just fine. I did pull out a little extra wick for a bigger flame.
I still keep a couple cheap Bic’s but so far I’ve not needed them.

jackets

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 11, 2017
Like many I absolutely love my Kiribi Kubuto. I Purchased an IM Corona Pipemaster a year or so ago which I want to like more than I actually do. I find that I have to hold the Pipemaster much closer to the bowl than I would prefer when I’m driving or on a walk and it doesn’t go bang every time. If I remember correctly it was Harris that mentioned the pipemasters of old that would stay lit without holding the button down, which would in my mind be a massive improvement.

Meerly John

Can't Leave
Aug 4, 2021
Mid-USA
I have a Kiribi Kabuto and a Kiribi Kenshi. I love them both. There have been anxious periods where it seemed failures were coming. The screw on the lid hinge came loose on the Kabuto and had it all at an angle until I could get an appropriate screwdriver. Once broken in however, they have both been solid. I favor the Kenshi, but that's because of it's more pocket friendly shape.

I also believe that after the initial investment, they are cost efficient. 10.1 fl oz of Colibri premium butane costs me $5.99 and last me several months, even being used with my cigar torches as well. One $4 container of Kiribi flints has lasted me over a year. For just my pipe lighters I'm probably spending $20 a year. I'd spend twice that, easily, on bics.

Also, as a younger guy, using an old-boy style lighter helps insulate me from hastily-made accusations of drug use.

nerdgirlpipes

Might Stick Around
Aug 8, 2022
New York
I use a zippo with a pipe insert. It works well but I hate how often I have to refill it. I also have a Kiribi lighter which is beautiful and holds a lot of fuel, but hard to light outdoors where I usually smoke.

MCJ

Can't Leave
May 22, 2022
NW Connecticut
1950's Nimrod Commander pipe lighter (basic/no-frills brushed stainless steel lighter similar to Zippo pipe lighter). Nimrod also made a fancier version of this lighter that they called the Admiral, but I prefer the plain Commander. Love old stuff...

Reactions: JOHN72