PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Mustard is at least five thousand years old, and was named “hot must (wine) “ by the Romans.

Mustard is referred to in the Holy Bible.

The saying he’s too old to cut the mustard refers to how much physical labor was required to cut mustard plants with a scythe, and is centuries old.

So French didn’t invent mustard for the 1904 St Louis World’s Fair nor even Pure Prepared Salad Mustard, either.

But about 20 million people got their first taste of French’s (or some other yellow American mild mustard) on a really good hot dog on a fresh baked bun at the fair.

The exact ingredients in French’s mustard is a closely held secret.

Thirty years ago they switched over to a plastic squeeze bottle but the recipe hasn’t changed since 1904.

Reactions: SBC
It really could have been 1904 when prepared, fully ready to use mustard was first created by a corporation. It needed to be able to prevent separation in storage and be acidic enough to withstand infections from food poisoning. Use a little vinegar and hydogenized fats, and you have a store bought condiment.

However, making your own mustard just before you need it, isn't exactly hard. wisk some powdered seed into some warm water or vinegar, and voila. But, going into the 20th century, corporations were on their way to making people think that cooking was hard, so hard, that why not buy some premixed cornbread meal, or biscuit flour, just add water. Measuring out flour, baking powder, and sugar is just too hard for this generation. Why take your own corn to get it ground? Why buy and measure out stuff you buy in the produce? Just buy ours. It's the best.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
It really could have been 1904 when prepared, fully ready to use mustard was first created by a corporation. It needed to be able to prevent separation in storage and be acidic enough to withstand infections from food poisoning. Use a little vinegar and hydogenized fats, and you have a store bought condiment.

However, making your own mustard just before you need it, isn't exactly hard. wisk some powdered seed into some warm water or vinegar, and voila. But, going into the 20th century, corporations were on their way to making people think that cooking was hard, so hard, that why not buy some premixed cornbread meal, or biscuit flour, just add water. Measuring out flour, baking powder, and sugar is just too hard for this generation. Why take your own corn to get it ground? Why buy and measure out stuff you buy in the produce? Just buy ours. It's the best.

My French’s bottle reads these ingredients, in descending order:

Distilled vinegar (doesn’t say white or cider vinegar, just distilled vinegar)

Water

#1 Grade Mustard Seed

Salt

Turmeric

Paprika

Spice

Natural flavor

Garlic powder

Xxxxx

French’s has a humongous mustard factory in Springfield visible from I-44.

Big semis run races coming and going from it, there might be a rail spur to the plant as well.

If you and I wanted to spare a few million dollars to invest we could hire a chemist to anyalze French’s mustard and gef really close to their secret blend of spices and natural flavorings.

We’d not get it 100% like French’s but we’d have a good pure prepared yellow mustard to sell. We could even buy the same yellow plastic bottles, with our name brand.

But our name brand would not ever be French’s. Nobody’s grandfather would have first tried our mustard at the 1904 St Louis World’s Fair.

Coca Cola, Tabasco, and French’s Mustard have powerhouse brand names.

Everything else on the market is a substitute.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Pay me half that and I'll find a way to steal the recipe for you.

No thanks.

The real reason we need a chemist, is to be able to prove how we got our recipie.

If we flat out stole it, we might go to prison.

All we want to do is make good yellow mustard.

The best thing we could steal is not subject to theft, which is the French’s brand name.

Reactions: SBC
What I like about the way I cook, and I do almost all of our cooking, is that I never use a recipe. It may be slightly different each time, but at this point my family likes that.

Just use that list of ingredients you posted, and make you a small batch. I usually add a touch of olive oil to mine to make it creamier but it’s not rocket science. Just use your tastebuds.

A small whisk and a bowl. Go… I bet you’ll like whatever you come up with. With those ingredients, you can’t go wrong.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Mustard is at least five thousand years old, and was named “hot must (wine) “ by the Romans.
Quite right.

[My bold italics]

Summary​

A borrowing from French.
Etymons: French mustarde, mostarde.

< Anglo-Norman mustarde, mustard, mostart, moustard and Old French mostarde, moustarde condiment prepared with crushed mustard grains (c1223–78; 1269 in sense ‘mustard plant’; French moutarde) < most, must must n.1 + ‑ard ‑ard suffix, so called because the condiment was originally prepared by making the ground seeds into a paste with must. Compare Old Occitan mostarda (1350), Italian mostarda (14th cent.), Spanish mostaza (c1400), Portuguese mostarda (1416), Catalan mostalla. Compare also post-classical Latin mustardum (frequently in British sources from mid 13th to early 14th centuries).

Jay.

Reactions: SBC and Briar Lee

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Like mustard? Have a yen to travel this summer? Then you simply must visit the NATIONAL MUSTARD MUSEUM in Middleton, Wisconsin. "Since its foundation in 1992, the Museum’s collection has grown to house over 6,000 jars from across all 50 states and more than 70 countries..."
1714261096496.png

1714261016235.png

They might want to hire a proof-reader for their Website, as the copy states that the Museum was founded in 1992; the logotype indicates that it was established in 1986.

Reactions: Briar Lee