PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Just wanted to ask about an Ashton pipe I put up for sale a couple of days ago. In comparing this pipe to similar Ashtons, I thought the price reasonable. But there haven't been any responses, and I don't want to screw anyone (or be screwed) so let me ask, am I asking too much for this pipe? I did mention I'm willing to do some negotiation. Is it just a matter of waiting longer? I was under the impression Ashtons were highly desirable. Be honest (without swearing) and tell me what you think.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Sparrow, in my honest opinion, i think you are around the ballpark of what i have seen them currently going for on places like SP and Ebay, especially with the inclusion of the negotiating factor. That said $225 is a fair chunk of change for most people to throw at a used pipe, so that narrows your already small market of forum members down. I think the key thing to improve upon is to post more pictures and include more pictures in detail, showing up close how nice the rustication is, exact condition of the rim/bowl, and the beautiful ox blood cumberland stem. I personally love the pipe myself and yours is right up my alley. Except when i bite the hook and buy my first ashton it will be a sandblast, so alas, this one is not for me.
Just my 2 cents and best of luck to you with a quick sale, brother. Hope this helps a little.
Cheers,

Corey

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Sparrow:
*Where* did you put it up for sale? I checked eBay, but nothing like what you're describing came up at the price layinpipe quoted. And Googling your screen name here only brought up your forum posts. (And Googling your *real* name + "Ashton" didn't pull up anything either.)
EDIT: Doh! Never mind. Just realized you meant that you offered it for sale here.
Bob

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Comparing your pricing to Completed Sales on eBay, I'd say you might be a tad high. XXX Pebble Grain Ashtons have sold for as little as $100 to over $250 -- but the average price seems to be just under $200.
But that's eBay, where you might find someone who would go quite high. I'm not sure there's nearly as big a market for a used pipe in that price range here on the Forums.
But it's all about timing. If the right buyer sees it at the right time, everything can come together. (I"ve sold identical aged tins of Penzance on eBay: One day one went for $30, while a month later one ended up selling for $70.)
Also, because of the volume of posts here, I don't believe your original post is on the Latest Discussions page any longer. It can help to bump the OP occasionally, just to keep it in front of folks' eyes. (I'm guessing most of us don't go directly to specific forums to read posts but instead only read from the Latest Discussions listing on the main Forum page.)
Bob

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Bob, great advice, that is what i meant in terms of asking price. I think 225 is the right price to start, with the key being the "negotiating" factor. There are a couple of very similar pipes right now in the estate section of SP for 185-200. Just like anything that involves negotiation, start high and end up with what you really want to get out of it, or somewhere around that number. Everything else you said is spot on and solid suggestions, as usual.

Dec 24, 2012
Ok, my honest view would be that it is a little overpriced. Take this new XXX for $247:
http://www.pipes2smoke.com/Ashton/AST_09A.htm
In my experience, a used Jimmy Craig made Ashton pebble grain XXX billiard in good shape would probably go between $150 and $175 at auction, give or take.
I grabbed a 1987 Taylor-Ashton for $275 off ebay (below), but the early Taylor-made Ashtons are very much sought after. Unfortunately the Jimmy Craig era pipes are not in the same collectible category (yet), so they are like a new car - they lose a good chunk of their value when you drive them off the lot.

Just my thoughts. I am no expert by any stretch.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Thank you, gentlemen. I was wondering if the pipe was overpriced, hence my offer to negotiate. It is a sandblast, by the way, but not a good photo; I'll have to put up a new photo and lower the price. This pipe is listed below as "ASHTON Straight Billiard." I think a drop to $175 or best offer would be reasonable? Again, thanks.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
That sounds like a plan, sparrow, i bet you'll get some nibbles if not get it sold in short time. Again, good luck. Glad Mike and Peck, who are much more knowdedgeable than i in this area, could offer some more very helpful advice. Kudos to you guys!

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I went back and looked at your Ashton again and it's probably the fifth or sixth time I have because I really, really like it. Although I'd much prefer to own a Taylor made oil cured pebble grain, I doubt I'd be able to afford one and I'd snap yours up post haste had I not blown my allowance for the month already. Lol. The photos you have provided more than likely don't do the pipe justice and if I were to make an offer the two things I'd ask you for prior to making one would be; what was smoked in it while you had it and do you have any sharper photos of it. An aromatic ghost wouldn't bother me but it's important to me as a buyer to have a clear 360 view of the pipe just to give me some assurances that I won't have any buyers remorse. Just a couple suggestions is all, not being critical because I'm not qualified to be a critic. If it remains there much longer I might have to ask the treasurer for an advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.