PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

woodrow

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 28, 2018
Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada
I use Febings a lot for dyeing my refurbs. I have a question about setting the stain. I don’t understand why we set the stain by flaming the wet stain.
Flaming doesn’t set the stain for me. In fact nothing seems to actually set the stain. I can usually set a stain by adding a bit of mineral oil but it darkens the pipe considerably.

What are other methods for setting a stain. Perhaps a ton of alcohol on cotton swabs ?

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
In what way is not working for you? I use an alcohol lamp to set stain and it works fine. You still have to let it dry for 24 hours even after setting. Setting warms the wood and opens up the pores allowing it to more fully accept the stain. It also evaporates excess stain/alcohol.

woodrow

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 28, 2018
Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada
After setting the stain, a lot of the stain comes off. That’s why I usually have to use alcohol after staining.
Perhaps I’m not waiting long enough for the pipe to rest after applying stain.

doug535

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 28, 2019
Independence, MO.
Are you lumping setting/sealing the stain together? Depending on what your process is, ie... are you going to do a 2 color contrast? You will need to seal the stain then sand back partially to reveal unstained wood in the amount you'd like, then apply 2nd stain, set and then seal again. Processes do vary upon your intended outcome.