PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
Smokingpipes does a good job with letting you know what condition an estate is in. I am interested in an estate that suggests "chamber carbonizing" is evident. Does this mean that the pipe is a candidate for a future burnout? Is a pipe in trouble when it has chamber carbonizing, in your opinion?

Thanks guys!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The chamber walls have been charred. Likely culprit is use of a hard flame, like a cigar torch, rather than a soft flame, like a BIC.
It's not a fatal situation. Watch George Dibos' video on applying a silicate coating to the chamber walls and do the same. The pipe thus treated will likely outlast you.

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
The chamber walls have been charred. Likely culprit is use of a hard flame, like a cigar torch, rather than a soft flame, like a BIC.
It's not a fatal situation. Watch George Dibos' video on applying a silicate coating to the chamber walls and do the same. The pipe thus treated will likely outlast you.
Thank for that tip Sable, I will check that out for sure

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Mild chamber carbonizing doesn’t scare me off any more than mild rim darkening. Normal from use and SPC is quite transparent with their descriptions.

If I see something like smoked hard, or had a hard life, etc., I steer clear.

Reactions: gervais