PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
I have in my unsmoked stock a small zulu shape stamped Rattray. Perth & Naturel. It is made by John Redman so it is an older one.
May I see a photo? I like these old pipes. How were you able to tell it was manufactured by Redman? A shape code? I have one here that must have been made by Charatan--the shape in unmistakable.

Reactions: BROBS

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
Sorry no photo, no mobile. I spend my money on briars only !
It is the Redman shape 112 medium zulu. They sold pipes all over the UK, with or without the Redman name.

Reactions: greeneyes

Jef

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2019
North Carolina
I buy myself a new pipe every year. I have been looking at the Gowrie series of Rattray's. I still haven't decided....but I love the way that they look.
Jef

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I have had one unfiltered high gloss Canadian of their Highland series, it was very nice ,the draw was a tad tighter in comparison to say Dunhills or Stanwell, being typical French,they make very nice looking classic shapes, but when it comes to unfiltered pipes in this price range then I'd perhaps opt for another French name, Comoys, Chacom or even Genod,same quality but a bit more affordable price

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Not relating to estate Rattrays, but I noticed that SP has a wide selection of Rattray pipes generally in the one to two hundred dollar range. This surprised me because I don't think I've seen the brand offered in quite a while, and some years ago, I thought I heard they'd gone out of business...yet another unfounded rumor I guess. Anyway, there're here (or back) in strength. It's not clear whether they are made in Scotland or merely headquartered there, but that is the way of the current pipe market anyway.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Mis Pipas, tell us more! I'm not on the verge of buying a Rattray pipe, but I'm interested that you reject the two you bought. Was it just a preference, or were they really poorly made pipes? People ought to know. They aren't extra expensive, but they'd be an expense for most of us.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
I've two: Rattray's Craggi Root and Rattray's Bull & Dog. I regret having bought them
I've never smoked a Rattray's pipe. They appear to be made in various continental European countries, and so have a somewhat murky provenance, and yet they market their pipes with over-the-top references to Scots-Celt culture with names like "Samhain" and "Brave Heart" and a triskele logo on the stem. It's not obligatory that a pipe have a clear link to a person (artisan) or a place, like some of the well-established English pipemakers, however I find the suggestive marketing somewhat disingenuous (nobody is smoking a pipe called "Distillery" or "Fair Maid" and thinking that their pipe was made in an Italian backwater, especially with a $150 - $250 price tag). Perhaps the pipes smoke well but they're outsourced to contract pipemakers all over Europe and rubber-stamped by Kopp who owns the rights to the Rattray name.

For that price I'd rather buy an Ashton, frankly. Again, I don't know. Perhaps they're fabulous smokers.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I've never smoked a Rattray's pipe. They appear to be made in various continental European countries, and so have a somewhat murky provenance, and yet they market their pipes with over-the-top references to Scots-Celt culture with names like "Samhain" and "Brave Heart" and a triskele logo on the stem. It's not obligatory that a pipe have a clear link to a person (artisan) or a place, like some of the well-established English pipemakers, however I find the suggestive marketing somewhat disingenuous (nobody is smoking a pipe called "Distillery" or "Fair Maid" and thinking that their pipe was made in an Italian backwater, especially with a $150 - $250 price tag). Perhaps the pipes smoke well but they're outsourced to contract pipemakers all over Europe and rubber-stamped by Kopp who owns the rights to the Rattray name.

For that price I'd rather buy an Ashton, frankly. Again, I don't know. Perhaps they're fabulous smokers.
You’re 100% on point about them IMO. The reference to Celtic culture is almost comical.

elasmo

Can't Leave
Mar 23, 2019
Just picked up a Rattray Vintage Army on ebay for $70 shipped....couldn't let it go for less after seeing the same pipe on SP for $191.....sucker for army mounts

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
I don't think Rattray's will ever come close to a Savinelli. It surely can be a good smoker though.

Nicolasylvain

Might Stick Around
Jun 18, 2022
France
We live in a day and age where we expect to know where our tech, food products, clothes, etc. -you name it- is made. Pipes too.

When I asked Rattrays where a particular pipe series was made they replied with a winking emoticon and saying "a secret location in western Europe"

That was so damn lame