PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

tzinc

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2021
Toronto
I am finally ready to cellar.
(1) I assume unopened tins don't have to be put into anything?
(2) As for opened tins I was thinking mason jars would be best is that correct?
(3) Would like recommendation on mason jars best ones to get preferrably on Amazon
(4) An explanation of the whole mason jar procedure

Thanks in advance

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
(1) I assume unopened tins don't have to be put into anything?
Correct, they don't.
(2) As for opened tins I was thinking mason jars would be best is that correct?
Depends on whether you intend to continue to smoke that tin, or set it aside for future visits. If I open a 50gram tin and decided to jar it I pack it into a 4 oz jar. Otherwise you can continue to smoke the tobacco out of the tin, a baggie, or a small Mylar pouch.
(3) Would like recommendation on mason jars best ones to get preferrably on Amazon
I mostly use Ball, or whatever is available. I don't use large jars, mostly 8 to 12 oz jars. That way I can set aside some of the tobacco for long term aging while opening up smaller amounts for more immediate use. I prefer the tall 12 oz for longer flakes. When I first started cellaring I went with the larger sized jars, but I've learned better. I also use 1 lb heat sealed food grade 7 ply Mylar for longer term storage of bulks.
(4) An explanation of the whole mason jar procedure
It varies, depending on whether I'm jarring shag and ribbon cut, or flakes. Generally I pack at a 1:2 ratio. 2 oz in a 4 oz jar, 4 oz in an 8 oz jar, and so on and so on. I pack it in tight. I leave about 1/4 inch air space at the top. Longer flakes go into the taller 12 oz jars.

Make sure the area you're doing your jarring is clean and disinfected.

JSPiper71

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2022
Toronto Canada
Hey Doc, I found these really nice ones from Italy that I've been using at Canadian Tire. Brand is Bormioli. Functionally no better than Ball or Bernardi but look nicer. Also, I prefer to get the wide mouth lids as it's easier to fill and reach into for a pinch when you want to smoke a bowl.

Don't buy from Amazon. Total rip off.

Reactions: Ag®o and tzinc

JSPiper71

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2022
Toronto Canada
Correct, they don't.

Depends on whether you intend to continue to smoke that tin, or set it aside for future visits. If I open a 50gram tin and decided to jar it I pack it into a 4 oz jar. Otherwise you can continue to smoke the tobacco out of the tin, a baggie, or a small Mylar pouch.

I mostly use Ball, or whatever is available. I don't use large jars, mostly 8 to 12 oz jars. That way I can set aside some of the tobacco for long term aging while opening up smaller amounts for more immediate use. I prefer the tall 12 oz for longer flakes. When I first started cellaring I went with the larger sized jars, but I've learned better. I also use 1 lb heat sealed food grade 7 ply Mylar for longer term storage of bulks.

It varies, depending on whether I'm jarring shag and ribbon cut, or flakes. Generally I pack at a 1:2 ratio. 2 oz in a 4 oz jar, 4 oz in an 8 oz jar, and so on and so on. I pack it in tight. I leave about 1/4 inch air space at the top. Longer flakes go into the taller 12 oz jars.

Make sure the area you're doing your jarring is clean and disinfected.
I was actually going to start another thread on a related topic. Some of it you touched here with the ratios. What about vacuum sealing for tobacco you really want to set away for a long time? It would seriously compress the tobacco, so not sure if that's a good thing or bad thing? It would be one way to ensure that no air gets to it as you wouldn't be tempted to open the lid for a good sniff of the sweet aroma every now and then if it was stored in a jar. Also, I do a lot of fermentation. Kimchi, Saurkraut, etc. I have these cool widemouth lids that you can suck out the oxygen from. They work great for fermentation, but any ideas about using these for storage, especially on jars where you may be opening and closing a lot?

Fermentology Simply Sauer Fermentation Starter Kit - Fits Wide Mouth Mason Jars - Supplies Include Weights, Lids, Pump : Amazon.ca: Home

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I was actually going to start another thread on a related topic. Some of it you touched here with the ratios. What about vacuum sealing for tobacco you really want to set away for a long time? It would seriously compress the tobacco, so not sure if that's a good thing or bad thing? It would be one way to ensure that no air gets to it as you wouldn't be tempted to open the lid for a good sniff of the sweet aroma every now and then if it was stored in a jar. Also, I do a lot of fermentation. Kimchi, Saurkraut, etc. I have these cool widemouth lids that you can suck out the oxygen from. They work great for fermentation, but any ideas about using these for storage, especially on jars where you may be opening and closing a lot?

Fermentology Simply Sauer Fermentation Starter Kit - Fits Wide Mouth Mason Jars - Supplies Include Weights, Lids, Pump : Amazon.ca: Home
If you haven't seen this, you might find it interesting:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Thanks @sablebrush52. Good article. Not sure how much scientific rigor is behind the conclusions, but it's good enough for me. I'm going to stick to non-vacuumed jars for now.
Scientific rigor? Not a great deal, but about standard for experimentation among nonprofessionals. If you want a better answer, you might ask a major blending house, like Mac Baren, since they were outputting Vintage Syrian for more than a decade after the last known harvest and they couldn't have done that without having some method for retarding aging.

tzinc

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2021
Toronto
When you cellar in Mason Jars do you guys do the sealing with hot water? Or just put it in the jar.

When you cellar in Mason Jars do you guys do the sealing with hot water? Or just put it in the jar.
Just fill jar and close tightly. If you want a vacuum seal you can heat the jar in hot water first, then fill and cap. As it cools it will create a vacuum. That I think is overkill unless you plan on letting it sit for several years and then it still may be overkill. Also Walmart has the best prices. I am new to this as well and i bought half pint wide mouth jars from Kerr for 2 oz tins. They work great and stack nicely. I bought 1 pint Ball jars for larger amounts but the most of any one tobacco I have is 8 ounces. If I thought i would be buying more bulk i would invest in larger jars. I really like the way they look stacked up on a shelf

Reactions: JSPiper71