PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Make sure you have figured out how much you smoke per year. I figured I smoke about 12 pounds per year. If I live another 25 years I have enough to last me.

If you smoke another 25 years and 10 pounds per year then you need 250 pounds. Next figure out your favorites and whether they come in bulk or some come in tins only. I built my cellar in 2012-2013 and it cost me around 18 grand. I had it laying around so that when I saw a score to be had, I was all over it. For example, a guy from Smokersforum.uk sold me 3 pounds of 2007 Stonehaven for 83.00 a pound I jumped all over that. Another guy from that site sold me 3 pounds of 2006 Samuel Gawith Best Brown Flake for 55.00 a pound and I was all over that. Another guy sold me 7 100 gram tins of Solani 633 for only 18.00 a tin which was retail. Always have readily available cash for when deals like that happen.

You also need to have a list of blends you love and when they become available, you buy all you can. It was much easier to build a cellar back then as there were no limits except maybe a few 25 tin limits.

I wish you the best of luck in your journey. You will need to call on all the small mom and pop stores in the low tax states. If you rely on the big boys like Smokingpipes and Pipesandcigars, it will take you for ever. Use your fingers and phone and you will have better luck.

That is how I was able to buy 5 pound lots of SG Flakes. Let us know how you are doing.

Reactions: Ag®o

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Unless they are tins like Solani Silver Flake or Rattray's Exotic Orange. No vacuum seal and the tobacco is in a cellophane bag.
I just received a tin of Solani Silver Flake in a recent order. Didn't know it had no vacuum seal.

I guess I'll be moving it over from where it rests to the "Open These Next" pile.

Thanks for the random bit of info.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I just received a tin of Solani Silver Flake in a recent order. Didn't know it had no vacuum seal.

I guess I'll be moving it over from where it rests to the "Open These Next" pile.

Thanks for the random bit of info.
Very welcome. It's more of a ready to use presentation tin than anything.?

Reactions: FLDRD

tzinc

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2021
Toronto
what size jars for 2oz/50gr I was thinking 250 ml would do the trick 125 ml is probably too small?

mikecronis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 5, 2021
I am finally ready to cellar.
(1) I assume unopened tins don't have to be put into anything?
(2) As for opened tins I was thinking mason jars would be best is that correct?
(3) Would like recommendation on mason jars best ones to get preferrably on Amazon
(4) An explanation of the whole mason jar procedure

Thanks in advance
Your method is okay, but not perfect. I have tins that go back 20 years. I purchased a New Air humidor (sort of like a glass-faced fridge) and an Oasis 3.0 system that keeps it moist correctly and put the tins directly inside. I have some stuff form 2008 that's still fresh.

The Mason Jar procedure will work about 10-20 months.

If you get a Xikar Boveda pack and put it inside, it will last much much longer, perhaps 2 - 3 years, otherwise you'll have to get the New Air like system.

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
I buy Ball jars. If I open a tin, and I’m not gonna smoke it all within a week or two, I Ball it. I’ve never boiled jars or mylared anything. I’ve got tins & jars up my backside. Check your tins periodically for compromised seals. If it becomes a problem you can do the mylar thing, or a strip of Teflon tape I’ve found does the trick. ☕

tfdickson

Lifer
May 15, 2014
East End of Long Island
The Mason Jar procedure will work about 10-20 months.

@tzinc this is simply not true. My first big bulk and jar buy was 3 pounds of Dunhill EMP in 2003. I still have a few of those jars left and I never experienced a failed seal with any of the ones I opened. All you have to do is fill the jar, make sure no tobacco is is on the rim, and seal it tight.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
@tzinc this is simply not true. My first big bulk and jar buy was 3 pounds of Dunhill EMP in 2003. I still have a few of those jars left and I never experienced a failed seal with any of the ones I opened. All you have to do is fill the jar, make sure no tobacco is is on the rim, and seal it tight.
^^^^
Absolutely. And make sure you are using new lids if you intend to put that jar away for more than a few months, or else the seals might not hold. I’m opening jars that have been sealed for 10 years, and the tobacco is in great condition. Also, unless the tobacco is dried to dust, you do NOT need to add any extra humidity to a jar of tobacco before you seal it. In fact, doing so could increase the possibility of mold. Most pipe tobacco is sold at less than 20% RH. Most humidity packs are made for use with cigars, and hold the RH at 65-70%. A sealed mason jar will keep the RH at what it was when you sealed. In other words, put your tobacco straight from the tin or bulk package into the jar and seal it.

Reactions: tfdickson