Reasonable Value for a NOS Kaywoodie Regent.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Komier65

Lurker
Jun 25, 2021
Battle Creek Michigan
I am curious if someone would have an idea what a reasonable retail value would be for a NOS Kaywoodie Regent model 22 in box.
I understand that the value is what someone is willing to pay, but my curiosity stems from wanting to know the current retail price one would expect to pay. American factory pipes dont bring the value of English, yet in their heyday a Top of line Kaywoodie was more expensive than a Dunhill and of equal quality .
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

MattRVA

Lifer
Feb 6, 2019
Richmond Virginia
Looks like the Regent was made between 1963-72 with a Cumberland stem. NOS in the box should probably be between $50 and $100 I’m guessing but I’m interested to see what others think. A picture might help.

Last edited:

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
The person selling youthe pipe will probably want more because the box goes with it. Personally who care about the box, it doesn't help smoke the pipe. I would say that if you pay over $100.00 for it, you will be overpaying for the pipe. I like Kaywoodie's, but I wouldn't break the bank for one.

Reactions: RobNYC and MattRVA
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
As a collector of many things, I am very interested original packaging when present. Part of my appreciation may also have to do with my father being a package designer and growing up surrounded by the art for various products over the years.

Below are a couple of my Kaywoodies with original packaging. I especially love the paintings of the guys with pipes.

IMG_20211226_183304.jpg

IMG_20211226_184523.jpg

IMG_20211226_183411.jpg

Aug 1, 2012
Nice pipe. On its own I would probably pay about $60-75 for it. With the box, I'd probably go $85-95 (if it were a shape I loved). In my opinion, it'd have a hard time breaking the $100 mark. If you offered it to me for $75-80, I'd buy it in a flash.

D.T.

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 26, 2021
Arkansas
Gentlemen please forgive if I'm in the wrong place. I would very much like an answer to my question. What makes a pipe vintage. Is it style, age, 1 year, 10 years or 50. Thank you
DT

D.T.

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 26, 2021
Arkansas
Thank you so very much. That means i have several vintage pipes. There around 50 years old. You were very helpful. I don't drink. Thats why i didn't get the wine reference

Peter - CCB

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 26, 2019
Santa Barbara, CA
www.etsy.com
Kaywoodies are all over the board. I don’t know if there’s a reasonable value. I see one sell for 20 one day and 150 the next. A lot of collectors and if they’re missing that piece … Regents don’t pop up too often. If you saw one in ok condition on eBay and paid $50-80 I’d say it was a decent buy and anything below is good. I hunt Kaywoodies every day. That’s just my experience I find the best deals when they’re mid labeled or the line isn’t specific. I snagged one like that for $25. It’s a nice Billiard shape too. I’ll fully restore it and prob sell it for $100. About half what I see it listed for in very good condition. Hope this helps?

Reactions: OzPiper

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Wally Frank era Kaywoodies aren't in great demand as collectables. There are those who collect them, and in general prices are relatively low end. Unless somebody is buying it because that's the pipe that their dad had and is willing to pay top dollar, I wouldn't expect a windfall.

Prices of Kaywoodies have been up and down over the last several years. Prior to that they were $15-$25 pipes on a good day. It's usually when somebody gets on a board and brags up Kaywoodies the prices start to climb.

The heyday of Kaywoodies was in the 1930's and 1940's, because they had the largest market share.

Reactions: OzPiper

Peter - CCB

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 26, 2019
Santa Barbara, CA
www.etsy.com
Kaywoodies are all over the board. I don’t know if there’s a reasonable value. I see one sell for 20 one day and 150 the next. A lot of collectors and if they’re missing that piece … Regents don’t pop up too often. If you saw one in ok condition on eBay and paid $50-80 I’d say it was a decent buy and anything below is good. I hunt Kaywoodies every day. That’s just my experience I find the best deals when they’re mid labeled or the line isn’t specific. I snagged one like that for $25. It’s a nice Billiard shape too. I’ll fully restore it and prob sell it for $100. About half what I see it listed for in very good condition. Hope this helps?
I totally missed the NOS part.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I have a Kaywoodie my wife purchased for me several Christmas past. It is a flame grain and is probably quite old and it and another briar from Inderwicks on Carnaby Street are the only two non meerschaum pipes I own. I'll have to post a picture here and get some information. I love the packaging. Definitely from the days when men were men and term 'gender fluid' was not in general use! rotf

Reactions: romaso