PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Scotch

Lurker
Jan 5, 2022
Boise, Idaho, USA
I've purchased mostly Peterson pipes, and I have a church warden Savinelli. What recommendations do you have for a reasonable (~$150 - $250) pipe? I'm looking for something that is more unique, but doesn't break the bank.

I've purchased mostly Peterson pipes, and I have a church warden Savinelli. What recommendations do you have for a reasonable (~$150 - $250) pipe? I'm looking for something that is more unique, but doesn't break the bank.
Hell, if your only experiences are with Petes and one Savinelli warden, the whole world of factory pipes will be unique to you. Just throw a dart at Sykes and see which brand it hits. puffy

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
In that price range, I think you could find a young carver who might do your version of unique, on commission. You have to look at a lot of artisanal work to see who is working on your wave length, but they are out there.

Otherwise, look closely at the offerings at SP from such pipe makers as Nording, Johs, Scott Klein, and Ashton. Roam around the pipe pages and see what appeals to you.

forloveoffreedom

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 29, 2013
I have many pipes that I have found online and are terrific smokers. Sadly almost as many I don’t like and would not have purchased if I could have held first. Now I either travel to a B&M or save my dough for the pipe shows.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Lots of threads here loaded with pics of pipes ranging from cobs (including "designer" cobs) to very high end (usually Danish) pipes.

So much choice:
1) material - cobs, briar, morta, meerschaum, other woods
2) cost
3) shape(s) - classic shapes vs freehands vs "downright weird"
4) size
5) factory pipes vs artisanal
6) stem material - not a factor for me, but there are members who will only have vulcanite stems.
7) new vs estates

I personally don't believe in asking for opinions in general, as you will get loads of conflicting advice. Look through the "Pipe Talk" and "Show Us Your ..... Pipe" sections.
You can then make up your own mind what rocks your boat.

Reactions: Simmerdown☕️

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014

clynch

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2013
Pensacola Florida
Google up Boswell .Every Monday night his pipes go on sale. I don't recall if its 7pm or 8pm. I do know they are excellent and sell out fast. If you see something you like, shut down the browser and come back an hour later, it will be gone. He usually puts out 6 or 8 pipes over a 30 minute period or so. Price range from 130-300 on average

Reactions: Scotch

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
Look at Randy Wiley. He does some traditional shapes, but the rest are his own sculptural forms. Folks tend to love them or hate them. They also tend to be medium to large size pipes.

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
Radice, broken record, Radice. Handmade, uncoated bowl, great stem work in both acrylic and ebonite. Taken care of, a lifetime pipe. Competes with Castello at about 40% of the price. I have a number and have traded a number( never because the pipe was a poor smoker, only as my shape and size preference changed) and i reach for one more frequently than my Castellos. I have noticed lately on SP that Radices do not stay around very long when listed. There's a reason. Good buys at SP and also Alpascia

SmokeClouds

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2019
New York
Vitaliano Posella. High quality briar and excellent drilling. Owner of a briar cutting business and brother-in-law of Jacono Tonino.