PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
We're planning a 3 day trip this fall for a relative's wedding and we would appreciate any recommendations for hotels, restaurants, and kid friendly places.

So far the Oak Brook Hyatt is the front runner for a hotel.

Maybe some general downtown sight seeing and the aquarium or field museum too. Someplace fun for my 3 year old daughter would be nice.

We have Giordano's in Vegas now but I hear tell of an even better pizza place somewhere in Chicago.

Thanks in advance.

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
For the 3 year old downtown: children's museum at navy pier. Shedd aquarium. Field museum if she's hit her dino phase yet. Lego store and/or American girl place if shopping is a thing for your family. The original location of Uno's is up that way for deep dish, although I prefer Malnatti's.

If you will have a car, the museum of science and industry is pretty cool and kid friendly.

If you're downtown on a Saturday morning and have an hour to yourself, visit Iwan Ries.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
My recommendation is go strapped ?

The last time i was there went to Chicago Prime with a friend and the tomahawk ribeye was fantastic, the location (there are 2) that we went two had outdoor seating where you could smoke, cigars (or pipes) and steaks are the way.

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
If your event is in Oak Brook and keeping to that area makes the most sense- there is the Enchanted Castle kids park for a family day out. 8-8 cigars one or two towns north of you has a comfortable lounge, tho a meager pipe and tobacco selection.

I have lived in Chicago for 20 years, most of it in the neighborhoods you might be thinking of when you hear about the very real problems we have here. I have never once felt the need to "go strapped".

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
The museums are awesome, not sure a three year old is going to get too much out of them, honestly, but they are terrific. Aquarium by far the best bet for one that small. Problem with the little one is there is a lot of walking involved if you are going to park somewhere and take in the downtown and catch museums, etc. those little legs will be screaming, lol.

We were at the American Girl store at its zenith many years ago, haha, on a Saturday and I left - it was shoulder to shoulder and not much fun for this guy (girls had a great time with mom).

If you are a bit west, the Brookfield Zoo has always been wonderful, but haven't been there in 20 years, and Lincoln Park Zoo downtown is great as well, IMO. I'd put my money on those for kids of all ages.

Reactions: stevecourtright

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
If you can get a few hours to yourself, I would be happy to meet you at Iwan Ries, Arlington Pipe and Cigar (my favorite), or one of the many high end spirits bars around downtown for a cognac.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Things to do with a 3 year old.

Morton Arboretum The Morton Arboretum | To plant and protect trees for a greener, healthier, and more beautiful world - https://mortonarb.org/
They have a very nice children's garden where your daughter can run around and explore. It's a great place to spend a day outside.

I also have to agree with the suggestion of Brookfield Zoo.

Both are close to Oakbrook and you don't have to actually go into the city.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Both large zoos are excellent. Lincoln Park Zoo is near the downtown. Brookfield Zoo is in suburban Maywood, John Prine's hometown. Brookfield is really large, wonderful, but may be too much for young kids. Lincoln Park is more kid scale. Field Museum is excellent, for dinosaurs, mummies, large taxidermy (elephants, etc.).

A good downtown kid place is Millennial Park, near the Chicago Art Institute and the lakefront. The Park is kid friendly, has a sort of fountain wading pool, a huge chrome kidney bean that reflects the fabulous skyline but doubles as a funhouse mirror. These are in the general neighborhood of Iwan Ries on Wabash, maybe a short cab ride with kids.

Not for young kids, but worth seeing if you get a chance, is the Chicago Art Institute with its vast collections. To keep it from being exhausting, maybe focus on French Impressionism and Modern. If that's your kind of thing.

You can spend a lot on food at upscale restaurants in Chicago. But if you are out in neighborhood shopping areas, you can find great international food in specific neighborhoods where immigrants settled generations ago. Ask around. Polish, German, Hungarian, Lithuanian ... some you just don't find elsewhere, and at neighborly prices.

There are good boat tours on the Chicago River that would entertain kids and give a spectacular view of the city's famous architecture without having to walk miles.

Chicago is a great tourist city, and a little less overbearing than NYC, though I love the Apple. Preview all my suggestions online and/or with a tourism book, since it's been a long time since I've roved the city.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I'm told the wedding will be in the Melrose Park area someplace.

So far my itinerary is:

Day 1 - Travel/Check-In
Day 2 - Wedding and things in the area.
Day 3 - Downtown
Day 4 - Check-Out/Travel

Restaurant Possibilities:

Gibsons (or Gene And Georgetti)
Lou Malnati's
Portillo's
The Berghoff
Ann Sather (Breakfast or just a break from activity.)

Sights,Etc.:

The Field Museum
Sears Tower (I know they changed the name.)
Iwan Ries (Hopefully)
Navy Pier (Possibly)

The wedding is on October 1 so a lot of outdoor stuff might not be a great idea for us desert dwellers. As long as it's not raining and too windy (I know, I know) we should be fine though.

The restaurants with multiple locations allow me to not rigidly schedule which is nice. Plus they all seem to be fairly "Chicago Iconic" which I like.

It's been at least a decade since I've been to Chicago and I'm looking forward to it.

Still looking for good cocktail lounges downtown. By this I mean a lounge with really good cocktails where we can pop in for 30-60 minutes, sit and let our daughter recover, and refresh our adult spirits with good spirits. Micro-brewpubs are a good option to have too.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

mav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 14, 2021
Chicago
Nothing to add that hasn't already been given, I'll second the Lincoln Park zoo, it's free and is really good, with the conservatory next door with all kinds of cool plants, also free.

Iwan Ries is free to get in, but I've never left without buying something ;).

Tar Wheel

Lifer
May 23, 2020
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
The Chicago River Architecture tour. Of all the tourist things that we’ve done in Chicago, this tour stood out. Our guide was great, with an even dose of humor and history lesson. I know you’ll have your daughter, but it’s only lasts an hour or so, and you are on a boat. Refreshments and ( adult ) beverages are available for purchase. I found it fascinating and entertaining.

maker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 22, 2018
Navy pier is OK during the day but avoid it at night. The Sea Dog cruise is a favorite.
Gibsons has gone downhill. The last time I was there You didn't even get your own waiter. There were just a couple for each section. Gene and Georgeti still has the atmosphere but the food is lacking. They can't really compete with all the new chains coming in like Bavettes ( i think in Vegas also) or Maestros.
Field is still top notch.
Portillos is just ok very touristy but you need to get out to the neighborhoods to get a good italian beef. Al's is good but probably not near you
China Town is one of the better ones in the US. Most of the restaurants are in one outdoor mall easy cab ride from downtown. Dont take the train. Dim sum brunch is always good
Catching a game at Wrigley Field is something I would recommend everyone do even if your not a baseball fan. Easy train ride right to the entrance and you can go to Al's beef or weiner's circle for a little of the local ambience.
Lincoln park zoo is nice and free. I used to ride my bike through there daily. good for a break.
Iwan reis is history for pipe smokers.
Also Second city is fun with a couple of comedy shows daily.

Last edited:
Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
If the wedding is in Melrose Park area, Russell's Barbecue is right next door...Elmwood Park or River Grove?

I'm retired from a utility company in Chicago and spent several years working in the city and nearby suburbs. I've spent many lunch hours at Russell's. It's been close to 20 years since I've been there so I'm not sure if it's still as good.

I would skip Portillo's...not that great. Plus, they're all over now...Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin, Florida, Arizona, Iowa. Not really a "Chicago" exclusive anymore.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
There probably isn't time for this, but, the theatre group, the Neo-Futurists, used to do a show called Too Much Light Makes the Baby Go Blind on North Ashland Avenue. Their programming has changed, but, it's probably no less entertaining or thought provoking.

Sidehatch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 30, 2022
Colorado
Lived in burbs close to both oak brook and Melrose park. Brookfield zoo over Lincoln park zoo all day long. My kids ages 1-4 at the time always loved it and I feel like they were there once a week in summer. It’s easy to get to from oak brook hotel. Maybe 10-15 mins. Getting to North side is more trouble than it’s worth imo even on public transportatio. Centrally located Chicago you can do plenty of iconic sight seeing and still get great atmosphere at a prewpub or cocktail place. Too many to put down. Theres being plenty of rooftops also to sip some fine cognac.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Here are two sleepers that are personal favorites of mine:

1. Lincoln Park Conservatory, especially good on a bad weather day (parking should be easy)
2. Oriental Institute Museum at the Univ. of Chicago (parking anywhere in Hyde Park will most likely and unfortunately be tough).

Both are on the smaller side that might make it less challenging for a toddler.