PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I haven't been there in eons, but in the old days, I loved The Berghoff. It closed for a time long before the pandemic. I think there was a generational shift and some of the family came back to restart that institution. When I knew it, it had a large staff of older men who were highly professional waiters all dressed in tuxes, if I remember. It was quite an experience. Winning approval for your order from one of these stern old fellows felt like a highlight of the day. The food was the best German fare I've had.

A cultural note: If you go to any restaurant that features hot dogs and sausages in Chicago, and you want to fit in and avoid disapproval, don't order it with, or put catsup on your dogs. Mustard, pickles, sauerkraut, etc., are fine, but catsup is frowned upon.

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
Don't like my reply? Don't read it. I don't remember asking you opinion.

Im not sure how I am meant to know before reading something that I'm not going to like it and therefore ought not read it, but to try seems like the wrong way to go through life.

The opinion you offered - which you introduced with an acknowledgement of your own ignorance on the subject - was off topic, unhelpful, and an insult to my home. The home to which I was inviting a forum member to be my guest in. Something I would do for you or anyone else visiting.

Clearly being asked for an opinion is not a necessity for offering one, eh?

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Im not sure how I am meant to know before reading something that I'm not going to like it and therefore ought not read it, but to try seems like the wrong way to go through life.

The opinion you offered - which you introduced with an acknowledgement of your own ignorance on the subject - was off topic, unhelpful, and an insult to my home. The home to which I was inviting a forum member to be my guest in. Something I would do for you or anyone else visiting.

Clearly being asked for an opinion is not a necessity for offering one, eh?
You are right. Do apologize for making a joke out of Chicago.

LOREN

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2019
Illinois -> Florida
I lived downtown for 20 years, across from Soldier Field. In all seriousness, I would not have a smart phone or tablet out in public, or get my wallet or purse out in public if at all possible. I’m not trying to be a smart-ass but this is what I’ve told family members when they came to visit. That’s just honestly my recommendation. I follow that in any large city. I have experience with why I feel like that but I’m not trying to be argumentative.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Lou Malnatti's, Shedd Aquarium, ans Sears Tower are on the list. I think my daughter will enjoy the aquarium plus we can go even if the weather is inclement.

If weather permits a river cruise is probable. I visit to Iwan Ries is likely since there are a number of nice looking restaurants (Godess and the Baker, The Gage, & Cindy's Rooftop in particular) my wife and daughter can hang at will I walk to the store.

The wedding is Saturday morning. Sunday looks like Shedd & Sears and Iwan Ries will be Monday since our flight isn't until 7PM.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
This is coming up quick! Do you have an idea if you'll be able to sneak away for a pipe/cognac meet-up with some local smokers?
Depending on location this is a real possibility. My wife is very good about these things but, while I do smoke around my daughter when outside, smoking lounges might be a bit much for her.

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
If you are indeed starting from the Melrose Park area, have a car,and can get away after the reception, I could meet you at Arlington Pipe and Cigar (about a half hour drive) Saturday evening. The owner's son works there and is a huge jeep nerd.

I won't be offended if you can't, of course. You'll have a great experience at Reis on Monday.