Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Dec 11, 2021
Fort Collins, CO
So I’ve never smoked a cigar. I know next to nothing about them. I found two Barclay Rex cigars that are inside a ziplock inside a box that I had forgotten I had tucked away. My sister-in-law brought them to me from New York when my oldest was born… 9 years ago. Is there any hope for these?

Reactions: PaulRVA
Dec 11, 2021
Fort Collins, CO
Yes!
Get them in a mason jar or similar with Boveda packs of 70 or 72 and a cheap analog hygrometer and let them deplete the humidity in the jar then transfer them into a stable humidor.
Time and patience is your friend.
Don't try to over saturate them!
Thanks! I’ll give it a go. Looking forward to my first cigar!

Reactions: PaulRVA
Sep 28, 2023
Boone>Wilmington
I wouldn’t start with a 70% they’ll expand and bust, it’s too much of a shock. People revive old Cubans from the 70s all the time and sell them. Can’t speak for the flavor but it seems to not be a big deal. Especially with those sticks being that old you’d want to start at the lowest humidity and step it up by 2% a week, but with yours you could speed up the process a bit I’m sure. I would just be afraid to start at anything higher than 64%

Reactions: AcesAndEights
Dec 11, 2021
Fort Collins, CO
@AcesAndEights
The cigars are not smokeable at this point. Given they are sentimental, I would give then a few coats of clear lacquer and use them as tampers.
I’m not the sentimental type. Not a bad idea though.
We’re going camping for Father’s Day. I’ll rehydrate them and fire one up around the fire. If they suck, I’ll toss them in and put something nice in my pipe.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
So I’ve never smoked a cigar. I know next to nothing about them. I found two Barclay Rex cigars that are inside a ziplock inside a box that I had forgotten I had tucked away. My sister-in-law brought them to me from New York when my oldest was born… 9 years ago. Is there any hope for these?

They're probably dead as mentioned above, but it is free to try to rehydrate, no? In my experience, you're looking at several months of rehydration. Go slow so you avoid mold. Post the results!