PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

lupy1234

Might Stick Around
Jul 3, 2023
Got this pipe and it was received as is. Was told to keep the pipe and was refunded the money. So, asking the group here on how to fix it. What glue is best? And, the tenon does not fit. Either it is too big or the hole is too small. What is the best way to fix that?

Thanks all

Attachments

• PXL_20240204_175947725.jpg
    PXL_20240204_175947725.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 39
Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

Two Pipes Crossing

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2023
Austin Texas
I would use 5 minute epoxy to bond the ferrule back on the stummel. Not sure what you mean about hole diameters being incorrect.
Epoxy is the way to go in my opinion, and to apply a light pressure of sort to keep it in place while it’s curing.

Super glue is not a good choice.

If the tenon doesn’t fit, because it’s too big for the mortise, there may be too much gunk in the mortise, or the stem wasn’t made for the pipe.

If it’s funk in the mortise, clear it out, if the tenon is still to big or there isn’t crud in the mortise you can try sanding the tenon until you get the proper fit.

Don’t know if that helps , but that’s a couple of ¢’s in any case.

P.S. There is a chance that mortise has a tapered bore, like the army mount pressure fit.

Last edited:
Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

lupy1234

Might Stick Around
Jul 3, 2023
Epoxy is the way to go in my opinion, and to apply a light pressure of sort to keep it in place while it’s curing.

Super glue is not a good choice.

If the tenon doesn’t fit, because it’s too big for the mortise, there may be too much gunk in the mortise, or the stem wasn’t made for the pipe.

If it’s funk in the mortise, clear it out, if the tenon is still to big or there isn’t crud in the mortise you can try sanding the tenon until you get the proper fit.

Don’t know if that helps , but that’s a couple of ¢’s in any case.

P.S. There is a chance that mortise has a tapered bore, like the army mount pressure fit.
Thank you and that is greatly appreciated

Reactions: Two Pipes Crossing

lupy1234

Might Stick Around
Jul 3, 2023
I am allowed to smoke at work and I usually purchase not so expensive pipes to use there. My hands get dirty and oily pretty quick, so having a more expensive pipe is not worth it. At home, different story.

Reactions: Simmerdown☕️