Savinelli Acrylic Stem RIP - Need Advice!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Well, after a most bittersweet final round of golf at my childhood pitch-and-putt golf course which is closing next month, I returned home with the culmination of 35 years' worth of memories (including a birdie on the final hole!). With thoughts of my deceased paternal grandfather running through my head, I was not fully paying attention when I took my Savinelli Tortuga 614 out of the travel pouch I had it in. Sadly, the laws of gravity were fully operational at the time, so...

tortuga stem.jpg

Although I'm still cursing myself for winning the klutz award for the month, I have a feeling this isn't going to be an insurmountably difficult replacement job. However, this is my first broken stem, and I've no clue as to where to begin. It's a 6mm acrylic.

Advice, anyone?

• Sad
Reactions: AroEnglish

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
I had a similar break on the stem of an old meer a couple of weeks ago. The fracture was at a very shallow angle so it made a natural scarf joint. A little cyanoacrylate and so far so good.

Your stem looks like a better candidate for replacement.

Reactions: Servant King

Severus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 1, 2020
Vaughan, ON
I guess, I am out of luck because Savinelli Lolita lime seems to have been discontinued by Savinelli, but am still gonna check with them.

Thanks again.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Yeah, it's worth a try. You never know.

Sadly, a stem repair for mine will cost more than the pipe is even worth, so it's a no-go for me. Hope you have better luck than I did. 👍

What would a replacement cost you? You could buy a new Rossi 8614 for about $64.00–$68.00. I know it won’t match the Tortuga, but it would allow you to use your stummel and cap and have a Rossi backup. Food for thought?

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
What would a replacement cost you? You could buy a new Rossi 8614 for about $64.00–$68.00. I know it won’t match the Tortuga, but it would allow you to use your stummel and cap and have a Rossi backup. Food for thought?
Yep, I thought about it. It's not much less than the replacement that Laudisi quoted me ($80-ish), but it just feels right to swap it with something else. Thankfully, Laudisi did come through for me in that regard...look for me in the Peterson thread soon!

Who cares how it looks if it is getting my covered with a condom anyways
I tried using that line on my first girlfriend. To this day, I'm still in awe of how quickly she then became my first ex-girlfriend... :confused:

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Depending on what Peterson pipe you buy you might be able to use the peterson stem on your tortuga ... but I see you are selling the pipe in the sales thread. You or the next person might be able to melt the cap to repair the stem but that might require the purchase of some expensive equipment for one time use ;)
:ROFLMAO:

• Haha