PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

MavErik

Lurker
Jan 4, 2024
I just picked up 2 Savinelli SL series pipes from a estate auction in Europe. I have done quite a bit of searching and can't find a "SL" series for Savinelli. The specific shapes are 622KS and the 616. Attached are photos of the stamps from each side of the 622KS.

Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• SL 2.jpeg
    SL 2.jpeg
    77.3 KB · Views: 14
  • SL 1.jpeg
    SL 1.jpeg
    80.9 KB · Views: 14
Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

MavErik

Lurker
Jan 4, 2024
Thanks…I like your way of thinking. Gives me a path to track towards.

I did hit up Pipephil, but nothing close other than the SLE.

Reactions: Hillcrest
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Wish I could help, but I haven’t seen this “SL” designation before. I’ll check some catalogues I have on hand. Barring it being an actual line by Savinelli, my best guess is that it could be a stamp for a tobacconist in Europe (or anywhere).

MavErik

Lurker
Jan 4, 2024
At first I was a little dismayed that I couldn’t find anything on the SL. Now, I’m intrigued and hopeful it’s unique and not just a “basket pipe” grade. I have to say the grain is nice and few it any fills were noticed on either. Both stems had the same Savinelli crest stamped into them.

MavErik

Lurker
Jan 4, 2024
Wish I could help, but I haven’t seen this “SL” designation before. I’ll check some catalogues I have on hand. Barring it being an actual line by Savinelli, my best guess is that it could be a stamp for a tobacconist in Europe (or anywhere).
Just heard back from Savinelli…you may be right.

They actually have no recent records for the SL series. Now asking for full photos to help track down the lineage. They suggest it may have been a special dealer run as well.

I’ll update more when I get it.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Just heard back from Savinelli…you may be right.

They actually have no recent records for the SL series. Now asking for full photos to help track down the lineage. They suggest it may have been a special dealer run as well.

I’ll update more when I get it.
I have a Savinelli PL from the 90-00s --- It was a series sold to B&Ms for them to put their store name on ... it was called Private label. Usually just a regular Sav with the store name stamped on it. My local B&M was cheap and lazy so mine actually has PL imprinted on stem and all the Savinelli imprints and logos on pipe but no store name. Laudisi didn't have any records and their historian (who is young) didn't know anything about it and I had to send a photo to them as well once I figured out what it was. It took several months of research on various forums to find references. Good Luck. PLs were considered seconds by some.

• Love
Reactions: TheIronMonkey

MavErik

Lurker
Jan 4, 2024
I have a Savinelli PL from the 90-00s --- It was a series sold to B&Ms for them to put their store name on ... it was called Private label. Usually just a regular Sav with the store name stamped on it. My local B&M was cheap and lazy so mine actually has PL imprinted on stem and all the Savinelli imprints and logos on pipe but no store name. Laudisi didn't have any records and their historian (who is young) didn't know anything about it and I had to send a photo to them as well once I figured out what it was. It took several months of research on various forums to find references. Good Luck. PLs were considered seconds by some.
Well sounds like I’m on perhaps a fools errand here. I hope the answer won’t take months, but it might be worth it to add to the historical record for this forum.

Thanks for the insight!