PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
well.. unpalatable may be an overstatement, but I enjoy amending/combining some blends to improve (to my taste) some blends I have, and love it when it works. 😄 Most recent effort was to save an english, Peretti Crown, which was just too too dry for me (it is famous for being extra dry, apparently). Another sample I had gathered was C&D Mocha. Delightful jar note, but didn't really grab me when burning, which it did well, though on the very moist side. Serendipitous thought struck and 50/50 combination worked: English Mocha! For me, just what the crown needed. Will be easy to smoke that up together. Now wondering how that will compare to the Two Friends English Chocolate. Also thinking will try the Crown with Peretti's Ebony, another black cavendish with chocolate and other flavors (have a sample in a jar, not tried yet). Fun stuff for me. :)
I know a few others dabble along these lines. Have you had successes?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sometimes aging will transform a blend from not-good to much better or excellent. Sometimes in trying a blend you don't like, you will end up learning it, and it will taste much better when you try it after a few months, having learned it unwittingly.

And as mentioned in an earlier post, sometimes you can get some fine smokes by mixing a clunker blend with a different blend or a condimental tobacco or two. It is often worth a try.

WhiteCrown

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 29, 2023
Pac NW, USA
Whenever I get an aromatic that is too sweet, or simply doesn't have enough tobacco flavor, I mix it with something burley. However this caused me to only buy burley aros now so I don't have this problem anymore! The trash works too, but I would have never known I actually like aromatics.

Edit: This is the whole thing that got me to start smoking those peasant codger blends too!

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
English Mocha has worked really well -- very much enjoy this crossover aro. Before making up another batch, this morning I mixed up Peretti Crown with Peretti Ebony and look forward to how that will play out. Working title is "Blackadder." I played with a few names, "Archie" being one, but my wife, who is British, said "Do Not." 😂

Reactions: WhiteCrown

greysmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
I throw odds and ends into a "junk jar." That includes left over scraps, samples that come with the occasional purchase, and tobacco I just don't like but hope it may take on a new life if dumped in a jar with other stuff for a year or five.

To my recollection, you used to be able to buy a "Hoover's Blend" from C&D which contained their various leavings all mixed together as leftovers.

May be worth a try.

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
I throw odds and ends into a "junk jar." That includes left over scraps, samples that come with the occasional purchase, and tobacco I just don't like but hope it may take on a new life if dumped in a jar with other stuff for a year or five.

To my recollection, you used to be able to buy a "Hoover's Blend" from C&D which contained their various leavings all mixed together as leftovers.

May be worth a try.
I keep a 'tinbits' tin. Mind you, i'm not trying to keep or save 'trash.' these are quality tobaccos, just don't delight my particular taste on their own. For example, I'm not inclined to order more Crown on it's own, but mixed...wow I really like this!

Does your junk jar provide palatable bowls?

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
Me getting rid of those shitty Esotericas...
Spss Trash GIF - Spss Trash Statistics - Discover & Share GIFs

greysmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
I keep a 'tinbits' tin. Mind you, i'm not trying to keep or save 'trash.' these are quality tobaccos, just don't delight my particular taste on their own. :) Does your junk jar provide palatable bowls?
I think my last junk jar smoke was six years ago. That's one of the greater benefits of this practice: it gives me the satisfaction of not throwing anything away without having to experience the trauma of trying a bad blend again.

Reactions: mosin1932

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Usually if i have something i just don't like it get's "paid forward", usually it ends up in bombs or sent to someone that i know likes it. Had a lot of squadron leader and EMP a dozen tins or so of each, every bomb i sent out over a year had a tin of each in it lol

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think cured tobacco is supposed to be a good insecticide for some insects and some plants. I would think it makes pretty good fertilizer and mulch too. Better than the landfill.

mosin1932

Lurker
Jan 10, 2023

May be worth a try.
I have two "junk jars" one for the spillover of my favorites/rotation and I have enjoyed every bowl of it so far. The other one gets the samples and stuff I know I'll never like, it is probably over 2-3lbs at this point. I use it to practice pressing, stoving and misc. stuff like that because my lizard brain just won't let me throw it away lol.

Reactions: greysmoke

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Only one blend I have ever truly found repugnant, and this was before I began reading reviews and slowing way down on my blind purchases... That blend got tossed.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
A blend can be very, very dry without being too dry to smoke...but it requires a certain cadence to enjoy.

But yes, in the past I dabbled in mixing things etc, a lot of fun!

orvet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 1, 2023
Willamette Valley of Oregon
I also keep an odds and ends jar for the last bits of tobacco in a tin, or the remainder of the tin that I didn't want to continue to smoking regularly. I have also purchased bulk tobacco, an ounce or two at a time just to try them out and get an idea of how they would blend in my O&E jar.
The O&E jar got so good, that I was smoking it over the tins that I like most!
I decided I wanted to replicate it, as close as possible, or just make a similar blend, so I ordered several different bulk tobaccos that I had tried and at some idea of how they would enhance the blend.

I just blended it a few days ago and it needs some time for the tobacco to marry, but the first couple of bowls I have tried, far exceeded my expectations!

It's also a good way to use up some 30 year old tobacco that has dried out, in spite of being vacuum sealed. I am under no Illusion that I can rehydrate those to their former glory, but even in their less than pristine state they still add some pleasant notes and depth to the mixture.

I have some dried out McClelland's #24 I want to rehydrate a little bit more and add some of it to the mixture as well. The batch I mixed up so far is now almost a pound and will probably exceed that before I'm through adding to it.
I find the whole process of blending them to be entertaining, fun and very tasty! puffy