18 Fresh Erik Stokkebye 4th Generation Pipes
12 Fresh Claudio Cavicchi Pipes
119 Fresh Peterson Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

I mean, there are studies that show critical thinking skills are decline, well at least one study. Of course, it blames the pandemic, but I think that just hastened what was already there and already happening, most didn't notice until it was really bad:
I think that reliance on smart devices impedes a lot of critical thinking also. Also, when I first learned to use a computer, you HAD to know some code. When Windows made PC's work the same way as Apples, it dumbed down its users.
Now add in AI, and we are headed right for the dumbed down ditch again.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I mean, there are studies that show critical thinking skills are decline, well at least one study. Of course, it blames the pandemic, but I think that just hastened what was already there and already happening, most didn't notice until it was really bad:
Taking hand writing out of schools exacerbated this decline. There are four famous secular studies that explain the gland in the brain attached to and behind the medulla oblongata that controls critical thinking and analytical reasoning. It only develops if you learn handwriting as a child or do artwork as a child. Take away handwriting and switch artwork (drawing/sketching) to photoshop/Ai and you have a generation of people who can't make change and hear the exact opposite of what you said. This has been known for years but ignored by some purposefully.

• Love
Reactions: telescopes

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Xxxx

The State Department recognizes 195sovereign nations, including the 193 member states of the United Nations, as well as the Holy See (Vatican City) and Palestine, which are not UN members.

Xxxx

If we are to be our own masters, responsible only to ourselves, then we must as a nation resolve the ancient landmarks of our constitution and our unwritten traditions of self government, be taught in the public schools down to the last hillbilly boy who can see Bug Tussle, Missouri from his house.

We must each know instinctively no man how high or low, is beyond the reach of the law.

We must have confidence our laws and institutions however imperfect are constantly striving for perfection.

We must know our neighbor cannot force us to worship his Gods nor can we limit his.

You must know Lincoln’s Lyceum Address before you can be a responsible member of American society.

The other 194 sovereign nations are not going to establish our schools , build our bridges, defend our nation, or pay one school teacher a penny.

That is the burden of American civilizatio
Eh. As education becomes indoctrination, I suppose we will also be responsible for building our own labor camps and reeducation detention centers. Excellent point you made. I agree.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Taking hand writing out of schools exacerbated this decline. There are four famous secular studies that explain the gland in the brain attached to and behind the medulla oblongata that controls critical thinking and analytical reasoning. It only develops if you learn handwriting as a child or do artwork as a child. Take away handwriting and switch artwork (drawing/sketching) to photoshop/Ai and you have a generation of people who can't make change and hear the exact opposite of what you said. This has been known for years but ignored by some purposefully.
The same can be said of the practical skills of shop, art, and home economics.

Reactions: Hillcrest

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Being a product of the 'old' British private schooling system we were taught to be think critically, listen to all view points and after thorough analysis draw a conclusion. This was combined with large amounts of corporal punishment, a hierarchical system of society and lack of decent food combined with abundant availability of cold showers. If you spent your formative years in such an institution as a boarder you will then understand why the Brits not only enjoyed but excelled at escaping from German POW camps during WW2!

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
I thought this was a pipe forum for a sec.
d3a0b3d9-aeff-4bd8-9ebe-739d4fc105ed_text.gif