PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

krisw92

Lurker
Jan 14, 2024
London
Hi all

First time posting here.

I am seeking advice or recommendations for restoration work on an inherited pipe. It was my great great grandads pipe. I am unaware of how old this pipe may be. I assume this will be rather difficult to repair. This is an inheritance item and will not be used. It was out away for storage in its original hard case. When undertaking a sort out I have found the shaft(stem I believe) to be broken.

Can anyone help me ? I am based in London so looking for a UK based restorer.

Many thanks.20240114_144635.jpg20240114_144652.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
If you smoke its a shame not to use it. If its just for looks you could use adhesive on the parts. Im pretty sure if you want to ise it a new custom stem is in order. Luckily there are pipe makers here.

krisw92

Lurker
Jan 14, 2024
London
I do smoke but not pipes. I did contemplate using an adhesive but I want it restored back to its former glory. Anyone have an idea of the age of this pipe?

Reactions: Pipeoff

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Thank you. I saw a few recommendations on here for the Cambridge pipe repairs. I have sent an enquiry.
Cambridge does some impressive repair work. That said, the standard fix for an amber stem is to glue the sections together. You might have a new stem made that copies the original from an acrylic or plastic based amberoid type material. The last restorer who specialized in these old pipes, including making actual amber stems, retired a few years ago.

Your pipe was made by W. H. Carrington & Co, operating out of Manchester, very likely 19th century, late 1880's or later

Last edited:

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I thoroughly recommend Geoff Watson of Cambridge Pipe Repairs.

You can have the original amber stem repaired.
Geoff can make you a replacement stem, which is a good idea if you want to smoke that pipe as old amber is very fragile