PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Singularis

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
I've managed to put away quite a few bulk blends and blending components in mason jars for slow and gentle aging. I know I'm not alone in this habit/obsession. Have others found that mason jars will self-seal after a time? Around this forum and other places on the internet, it's been said that once the available oxygen in the jar gets used up, anaerobic fermentation starts to take place. (At least, I think that's the science behind this.) Similarly, I've had reused food jars seal up pretty well, to the point where it takes some muscle to unscrew the lid. And this has even happened with heavy Oriental/Latakia blends like Balkan Supreme (not just Virginia forward blends).

Of course, I assume that not only is this expected, but demonstrates good signs of tobacco properly aging. I have discovered this when going to smell the contents or potentially smoke the contents, but when, after unscrewing the ring, I discover that the lid feels sealed, I have decided to leave it undisturbed. I figure why mess with a good thing until I (and the tobacco) are good and ready.

JimPM

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 14, 2021
I've find on many jars that were sitting undisturbed for an extended periods there is definite vacuum force that builds up on these. They are a booger to get the seal off as a result. I guess that is a good thing

Skink

Can't Leave
Sep 21, 2021
Ronkonkoma, NY
I store my bulk in food storage bags with a vacuum sealer. I use the "manual" function to remove the air until the bag just starts to touch the tobacco. I also have an adapter that pulls the air out of mason jars and seals them up as tight as if I had gone through the canning process.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I store my bulk in food storage bags with a vacuum sealer. I use the "manual" function to remove the air until the bag just starts to touch the tobacco. I also have an adapter that pulls the air out of mason jars and seals them up as tight as if I had gone through the canning process.
What's the device that pulls the air from mason jars please?

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
I've managed to put away quite a few bulk blends and blending components in mason jars for slow and gentle aging. I know I'm not alone in this habit/obsession. Have others found that mason jars will self-seal after a time?
They aren't fully/truly "sealing" necessarily, but a vacuum may occur for various reasons that enable the lids to stick down somewhat. Full sealing would require heat.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I do the same as with the bags and not remove all of the air, just enough to seal the jar. Less of a vacuum than a factory sealed tin.
That's what I do with jars... sucks the lid down tight. Mostly for bulk aromatics. I do have some tins that have been cellared for several years where the lids are now bulging outward slightly. So something has been happening to generate pressure.

Reactions: mingc

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
The tins bulging is caused by the CO2 byproduct from the continuation of the process.
I don't know if it's carbon dioxide. And I believe the mechanism at work in this type of scenario is oxidation, at least initially. There are microbes doing what microbes do generating whatever gases they do. A hand pump or food saver won't create enough vacuum to remove all the oxygen - that's what high vacuum pumps are for.

Removing most of the oxygen can benefit certain anerobic organisms (such as Pichia anomala in Perique processing) over less desirable microbes (e.g. E. coli).

PuffingWalrus

Lurker
Jul 31, 2022
Brattleboro VT
What's the device that pulls the air from mason jars please?
i wouldnt recommend this you need some air for stage one fermentation which is the fastest stage two starts when the O2 is used up and still effects the aging but on a much slower rate. for instance i never pack my bulk jars (for ribbon at least) any tighter than i would a pipe with a little spring in it then just let nature do its work.

Reactions: Skink and Shortwave

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
Some of my jar lids suck in, and some never do. Some even pop in and out depending on temperature swings. I'm going to go on a whim and assume they are all sealed the same. Whatever the lid is doing, there is a clear indent of the jars rim the entire way around after I open them, confirming the seal. I don't think the vacuum effect of the lid means much as far as the seal goes

Reactions: Singularis

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
i wouldnt recommend this you need some air for stage one fermentation which is the fastest stage two starts when the O2 is used up and still effects the aging but on a much slower rate. for instance i never pack my bulk jars (for ribbon at least) any tighter than i would a pipe with a little spring in it then just let nature do its work.
You may be right, but my intent if I do buy one of these contraptions is to remove only sufficient air to tighten the vacuum seal, not all the air.

Reactions: PuffingWalrus