PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Ed: If you're not happy and have doubts, send it back. Doesn't matter what we say. If you are second guessing the pipe, you will never enjoy it. The slightest gurgle will make you go See I should have returned it. In other words, second guessing ? Return it. That's what it's for. Spend the money on something you'll enjoy
Now, that being said, do realize one thing. Full bents are often hard to get a pipe cleaner through. Especially if you get a Peterson. In the picture below you can see how the opening to the bowl is all the way at the top of the shank. The end of the mortise dead-ends as it were in what Peterson calls their "Moisture Traps". And no, this is not just the Peterson system pipes. A lot of Peterson pipes have it. In this particular one, a shape 68, I can jiggle and wriggle all I want, there is no way I get a cleaner to go through to the bowl. But that's not a big deal for me. The draw is wide open, it's perfectly centered (even though the picture is a bit of an angle) and it smokes like a dream. Anyways, just so you know. The whole "Pipe cleaner all the way through to the bowl" sometimes depends on the pipe. Hope it helps
Mortise.jpg

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
One thing to keep in mind is that no matter how poorly made a pipe is, there's always SOMEONE who will SWEAR to its quality and promise it's a "good smoker".

edlogic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 8, 2012
jacksonville florida
thanks Mick ! that is very good information

i can't get the cleaner to go through only the stem even with the stem out - it is hard to draw on -

i dont' even want to try to smoke with it
bigvan wrote

No, that's not usual.
It's a cheaply made pipe with a cheaply made stem. I'd get rid of it.
oh yeah ? - but what do you really think ? - i am an idiot and i don't even know anything about pipe grain ?
well you know what - you are right - can you look at this pipe and read the next post after it and tell me about the grain on it ?
if so - can you reply on that thread ? thanks
that is the pipe that is due to arrive tomorrow

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
i can't get the cleaner to go through only the stem even with the stem out
That's a deal breaker. Send it back.
No, nothing dumb or idiot about it. I actually like the way it looks and with Internet shopping, you just never know what you're gonna get. In this case, you got something less than desirable, so send it back. Issue closed.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
PS: want my advice on what to replace it with ? You had a Bjarne Viking Houston on the other thread. $20 less and they are good smokers for the price. Spend the extra $20 on some good tobacco.
Just my .02
Good luck

edlogic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 8, 2012
jacksonville florida
bigvan wrote

Um... I never said you were an idiot, and I never said anything about grain.
after you read a couple of my posts - i think you will be able to quickly unshackle yourself from the first impression / reaction that may grip you
i said that - not to infer that you implied - but to affirm it myself
sorry for the confusion

it was almost as if i intended it to be read as a joke

edlogic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 8, 2012
jacksonville florida
Mick wrote

PS: want my advice on what to replace it with ? You had a Bjarne Viking Houston on the other thread. $20 less and they are good smokers for the price. Spend the extra $20 on some good tobacco.
wow - thanks Mick - i almost forgot about those - those were the first pipes that i saw but i could not find much about them on the web -
then the main reason why i went with the Graco Safari is because i was afraid of vulcanite stems because i thought the cheap busted plastic one on my current pipe was vulcanite and i was only looking for pipes with lucite stems
ah rats - i just checked on that one - sold out

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
I would vote for trying the return policy, if you can.
The chamber blemishes won't really effect anything and you'd never see them again after 5 smokes, but the bore hole being off center would make me worry about future cracks.
Send her back, get a replacement. It looks like a very nice pipe otherwise, worth $75.
My opinion about stems, is lucite looks nicer, and is good because it resists chew marks. But vulcanite sure feels better if you clench.

Status
Not open for further replies.