Should you or would you name that pipe?Help,I\'m being pressured.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

ernest

Can't Leave
Aug 31, 2010
My new girl friend said her dad,an avid sailor,has names for his pipes and that I also should.How do I go about giving a name to a pipe?It smokes cool,but that's because I make it do that.I like the taste,but that's because I choose the tobacco.It always works,but that's because I look after it.It has a nice shape,but they already gave it a name for that.Does anyone else have names for there pipes or should I send her off to go sailing with her dad?

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Well, I've owned several boats and never named any of them....they come, they go, why bother naming them....seems kinda silly to me, but I'm just an old codger, and just tired....LOL

ernest

Can't Leave
Aug 31, 2010
And whats next?Name the fan,the fridge,the salt and pepper shaker shaker?

classicgeek

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 8, 2010
I've tried naming things from time to time. Computers, motorcycles, typewriters... children. They never stick. You call 'em what you call 'em.
That having been said...
If your significant other thinks you should do it, and it doesn't hurt anybody... what's the harm? We won't judge you... unless you start posting in the "What are you smoking?" thread that you stuffed Fritz full of 1Q and smoked 'im. Then it's open season. XD
Simon

azekologi

Lurker
Aug 31, 2010
A nickname is earned, not given.
I own 4 "good" pipes, and 3 cobs. Only two of the pipes have been named, neither of which I gave unto them. The nicknames will come, but your pipes will earn them in time, definitely not by force. I don't advocate this process, but it is a natural process which you cannot force, and may or may not happen.
My first pipe, a La Rocca 1/4 bent rough sitter, was given to me as a wedding party gift from a close high school friend. At his bachelor party he gave 4 of us pipes, a 2-pipe Dunhill bag, and our choice of (1) automatic and (1) English tobacco (after sampling his cabinet of 10-15 flavors of each. The pipes he gave us were all different, fitted to our personalities. At the time I was a college professor, so my friends instantaneously correlated my pipe with my profession, hence "The Professor" it became. Fitting? Yes. Apt? Yes. And it has stuck. (Fellow comrades got the following: The ex-marine; a bulldog, the astronomer; a freehand Nording, the questionable but equally dear friend, an shorty nose-burner (don't ask, the story's not worth repeating among those who weren't there). All fitting, not all named, but tried and true none-the-less.
My 2nd, and 3rd (fraternal Britannia bulldogs; of smooth and rough variety) both have gone unnamed. Perhaps in time? Perhaps not. My 4th, a handmade Tim West plateau-top sitter, was instantly named by best friend as "The Judge" not only for it's obvious resemblance to a gavel, but more so it's ability to conjure voluminous thunderclouds of smoke as I render judgment upon intricate decisions of heart and mind among friends and loved ones.
The only advice I can give you; let your pipe earn it's name in good time...names of true chivalry and vitality come from pensive thought, others of forced anointment will be wasted efforts.

ernest

Can't Leave
Aug 31, 2010
Wow.How can you beat that.I guess in some respects she can stay for now.I have to go and lay down now to absorb all that.Thanks.Many thanks.

tommytree

Lurker
Jul 8, 2010
It's easy to name your pipes when you have a few or even a dozen. Once you get up toward 50 or more, you'll be hard pressed to remember what you called them.

chuckw

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2009
The only thing named around here anymore is this IDF (Infernal Damned Machine).

Status
Not open for further replies.