Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
If there is that kind of demand, it must be bad for you. 😠
actually the demand was always high even when taxes where more reasonable. It's something about the culture. Sure it's gotten worse but, while every country has cigarette smugglers and tax dodges with tobacco, Australia had a very high level. Not agreeing with the taxation level in part I think it's just not right to punish people that follow the rules to make up for people who don't or also smart to encourage the behavior you consider a problem (we got a problem with people smuggling a product to avoid taxes, I know we'll get them to smuggle more). But my point there is a reason (agree or disagree with it all we want) sometimes for the things that are insane.

Reactions: JOHN72

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Tobacco has always been an imported, and thus taxed commodity here. Even when NZ had its own tobacco belt there were laws limiting the amount of domestic tobacco which could be sold/blended, I think it was something like 4%, which is stupid as it grows incredibly well. So tobacco smuggling has always occurred, and in some cases is celebrated.

There is a great article about it at our museum. Local farmers used to do a baccy run to the mines on the west coast. To avoid confiscation they had to either make new roads, or hide it on their trucks for the checkpoint. My favourite story is when they knew a guy was carrying tobacco but they couldn’t find it as he used his second fuel tank as the hiding spot. Another filled his trucks tyres with ropes.

My favorite smuggling story I read summarized in a few lines:

A customs officer had a feeling that a person who was crossing the border in a red car every week was smuggling something. However hard he tried though, he could not catch him red handed with the contraband.

Many years later they met again. The retired customs officer asked the man what was he smuggling. He replied: “Red Cars”

ADKPiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 13, 2020
Adirondack Mountains
Modern day Pirates.
always-be-yourself-unless-you-can-be-a-pirate-funny-noirty-designs.jpg

Tobacco smuggling has been going on for a while in the US. Stolen 18 wheelers full of cigarettes, robberies at reservations, Even raw tobacco leaf has been reported stolen many times. When you have one of the most expensive crops, there is always going to be game on it.
Even tomatoes get smuggled. Anything that someone can make a buck on, gets smuggled. Hell, bootlegging is still a crime that goes on. Dropping prohibition merely lowered incidents of organized crime. It never fully went away.

Oct 3, 2021
Southeastern PA
Tobacco smuggling has been going on for a while in the US. Stolen 18 wheelers full of cigarettes, robberies at reservations, Even raw tobacco leaf has been reported stolen many times. When you have one of the most expensive crops, there is always going to be game on it.
Even tomatoes get smuggled. Anything that someone can make a buck on, gets smuggled. Hell, bootlegging is still a crime that goes on. Dropping prohibition merely lowered incidents of organized crime. It never fully went away.
the-great-escape-great-escape.gif

Corn Pop's distant cousin, Popcorn...he too was a bad dude....but in a good way.

1706903309776.png

View attachment 284630

Corn Pop's distant cousin, Popcorn...he too was a bad dude....but in a good way.

View attachment 284631
Bootlegging and moonshining are in the same category, but bootlegging can also be driving across a county or state line buying legal booze, and returning with intent to sell without a license. When I was a teen, a family used to do this in North Alabama, where whole counties were still dry. They had a circle driveway and a fridge in the front yard. You could drive thru and buy whatever you wanted in a dry county. But, this was just one of many people that did this.

In wet counties we still have this sort of bootlegger, but they do it because of lack of businesses to buy liquor in impoverished areas. Or selling to minors. Or just to make money. Sometimes the booze was stolen.

When we read “bootlegging” in the newspaper, we mostly think of long bearded moonshiners, but mostly they are probably just selling stolen liquor to minors.