PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

originalnutcracker

Can't Leave
Feb 26, 2018
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I haven’t given this tobacco enough respect.

I usually walk while smoking - nature of where I live, and think this does a disservice to less full flavoured tobacco..... I also use ABF to break in pipes- as it makes a decent cake without a ghost.

I recently decided to break in my 2021 POY Terracotta indoors at the Manitoba Club. Now it might have been the pairing with a fine Tawny, or that I was relaxed indoors while it was blowing 30 below outside, or the fact that I was enamoured with the pipe, but the ABF was sublime.

I rubbed out a flake and only half filled the bowl. Charting light took well, and I needed a few relights along the way, although nothing frustrating. The room note is mild and unobtrussive (although there were cigar smokers in the room) The flavour is roasted nuts and savoury to me. The retrohale is great - I lovely “chestnut on an open fire” type of thing. What impressed me the most is that the flavour lingered for ages afterwards.

Decent stuff. As a smoker of principally oriental and English blends and heavy aged VaPers, this was a nice change of pace.