PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
This is not exactly an endorsement...
To be fair, I actually use the same method as @Chasing Embers but only around the bit, shank connection and any logos.

Otherwise it is wet sanding through the micromesh pads for me. Sometimes will start at 800.

The only hiccup I had with the lighter method is that when I polished it with toothpaste the stem oxidised again. I put this down to using a tooth paste which had a high quantity of baking soda in it.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
I realize that sometimes sandpaper is necessary for stem restoration; however, I hardly ever have to use it. In fact, I rarely have to soak my stems anymore. This Mark Twain arrived today and is perfect for showing how to restore a stem using a Magic Eraser with alcohol.

The first picture shows that the part of the tenon that was in the mortise does not have oxidation, but the rest of the stem has fairly bad oxidation. I tore off a small piece of Magic Eraser and doused it with alcohol, then scrubbed the bit end of the stem with it.
The second picture shows the stem after my initial scrubbing of everything but the oxidized section of the tenon.
The third picture shows the stem after scrubbing the tenon and giving the rest of the stem a little more scrubbing. The very chewed up piece of Magic Eraser was what I used on the stem. The less damaged piece was used to scrub the bit details, and the oxidized section of the tenon.

The final picture shows a 1981 Peterson Mark Twain, restored back to 'unsmoked' condition :LOL:

Kidding, but it did turn out great. After the Magic Eraser scrubbing, I polished the stem with 'Before & After' Fine polish, then with Extra Fine. (The silver band got Flitz, the stummel 'Before & After' Balm).

OtxMsg1.jpeg

xYGphQt.jpeg

YZI0ifP.jpeg

W1vgV37.jpeg
Perfect job Scott.
sometimes a clogged stem asks to be soaked ( submerged ) in alcohol for 24 hrs. or so.
It learned me that oxidation dissolves in alcohol. The stems come out relatively clean and the little oxidation
there still is easily wipes of with a paper towel, or a rag.

Reactions: Papamique

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
That looks great! I had a thread up last year about a Stanwell I wanted to try restoring and got some great advice from all. It had some accumulated crud that responded better to Barkeeper's Friend initially, Soft Scrub later and micro mesh - but even got to try some toothpaste as the thicker crap was gone. Enjoy seeing the different ideas. Lost a bit of the Stanwell logo, but despite the lighting/angle after pic, it's still there, just not as proud. The underside of the stem was even worse than the top. As you might notice from the fit, I learned a little lesson about sanding the area where the shank and stem meet, lol. There was a little crack at the very end that needed attention and a little sanding there was necessary and the repair of that has held up great.

Image.jpeg
Image 2.jpeg

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
That looks great! I had a thread up last year about a Stanwell I wanted to try restoring and got some great advice from all. It had some accumulated crud that responded better to Barkeeper's Friend initially, Soft Scrub later and micro mesh - but even got to try some toothpaste as the thicker crap was gone. Enjoy seeing the different ideas. Lost a bit of the Stanwell logo, but despite the lighting/angle after pic, it's still there, just not as proud. The underside of the stem was even worse than the top. As you might notice from the fit, I learned a little lesson about sanding the area where the shank and stem meet, lol. There was a little crack at the very end that needed attention and a little sanding there was necessary and the repair of that has held up great.

View attachment 296443
View attachment 296445
I don't hunt but damn do I want that pipe! What's the model called?