PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tzinc

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2021
Toronto
What is the story with the super expensive pipes? I see pipes selling for thousands of dollars. On Ebay the have pipes going for tens of thousands: 35,000 15,000 etc. Who is buying these pipes I don't think it's the people on here from what I've read?

I have a few pipes that were over $1000. I won't ever be able to own a Lamborghini, but I can at least own the equivalent in pipe designs or a piece of pipe history. Check out the 'What are you smoking" threads. You'll see SBangs, Ivarssons, etc... they are on there, and being smoked.

$10,000 might be a stretch for me, but I can easily come up with a few grand for something that really speaks to me. But, not all of my pipes are that expensive, by any means.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Some Forums members regularly buy pipes that cost more than I would ordinarily spend, but the pipes costing more than a thousand U.S. dollars get into a different world of tobacco pipes. There are plenty of scams that feature pipes for thousands that could be had for a small fraction of asking. But the authentically expensive represent a convergence of artistry, carver name recognition and history, and luxury appeal, snob appeal, and bragging rights that sustain the stratosphere of tobacco pipe prices. Like ultra-expensive automobiles or anything, there's a market for these, in the same neighborhoods where the $300 t-shirt is considered a fundamental necessity. But some of these pipes are true works of art and historical artifacts that justify their prices, to my mind.

I collect higher end pipes and have several in the 4 figure range. I might even have a couple that would fall in the 5 figure range if new but I purchased them on the estate market for less.

Oh, and I am not alone. There are many on here that collect high end pipes.

Collecting pipes is a fun hobby. One where you can actually use the thing that you are collecting. And you can't catch a STD from a pipe. puffy

There are lots of things that cost over $1000 and don't get as used or as much attention as pipes. Jewelry, watches, fly fishing rods, really nice pocketknives, I have a couple of pairs of shoes that cost that much. I know that for some that seems like a lot of money, but Hell, my kids get that much for Christmas, so why not splurge a little on myself.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
There are lots of things that cost over $1000 and don't get as used or as much attention as pipes. Jewelry, watches, fly fishing rods, really nice pocketknives, I have a couple of pairs of shoes that cost that much. I know that for some that seems like a lot of money, but Hell, my kids get that much for Christmas, so why not splurge a little on myself.
What's your address?

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have owned pipes that would sell for 2500-3000 in today's dollars. They were about 1000.00 over 20 years ago, gotta love the back of a trunk sale especially when I could trade Cuban cigars that I was into for short money. . I learned that you cannot smoke grain so no matter how beautiful the grain is, it will not make a pipe smoke better.
All of my pipes today are American artisan made and sell for around 300.00-385.00 and they all smoke better than those pipes from years ago. Some of the names I owned were Former, Reiner Barbi, Kurt Balleby, Peter Matzhold, and some really high end Castello's. There were others I am forgetting but the point is there for everyone to see.

I buy pipes to smoke. I smoke flakes, plugs and a rope 99% of the time and I want my pipes to smoke great and to also look like a pipe. I don't buy Blowfish or Dolphins or Elephant Feet. I buy billiards, Dublins, Rhodesians and other classic shapes. I like my pipes to be a good representation of the shape it is supposed to look like. When I see some high end guy unable to make a decent Billiard, I just pass him buy and would never buy a pipe from a guy like that.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It's a matter of priorities. For a lot of people, status symbols of one kind or another are important and worth the cost. It shows that they have achieved financial success. Toys are bragging rights. For others owning a luxury item satisfies their aesthetic and intellectual interests and pleasures. From a purely functional standpoint these flashy baubles don't offer any benefit akin to their pricing, but that's not the point.

I won't spend thousands of dollars on a pipe because in the scheme of things it's not worth that kind of investment to me. From a purely functional standpoint there's no significant benefit that I haven't gotten at a significantly lower price point. Same with expensive cars. I can admire them but prefer to drive something practical with no more than the necessary moving parts. A Lamborghini stuck in rush hour traffic (which lasts all day here) looks ridiculous, and is an insult to the car. For someone else these things are their delight.

Last edited:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I have owned pipes that would sell for 2500-3000 in today's dollars. They were about 1000.00 over 20 years ago, gotta love the back of a trunk sale especially when I could trade Cuban cigars that I was into for short money. . I learned that you cannot smoke grain so no matter how beautiful the grain is, it will not make a pipe smoke better.
All of my pipes today are American artisan made and sell for around 300.00-385.00 and they all smoke better than those pipes from years ago. Some of the names I owned were Former, Reiner Barbi, Kurt Balleby, Peter Matzhold, and some really high end Castello's. There were others I am forgetting but the point is there for everyone to see.

I buy pipes to smoke. I smoke flakes, plugs and a rope 99% of the time and I want my pipes to smoke great and to also look like a pipe. I don't buy Blowfish or Dolphins or Elephant Feet. I buy billiards, Dublins, Rhodesians and other classic shapes. I like my pipes to be a good representation of the shape it is supposed to look like. When I see some high end guy unable to make a decent Billiard, I just pass him buy and would never buy a pipe from a guy like that.
Ah...the infamous billiard test. If a carver can't produce the classic simplicity of a billiard that carver ain't worth spit, let alone thousands of dollars.

Status
Not open for further replies.