Terracotta Fingers and Replacement Stems? (Peterson content)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Manawydan

Lurker
Apr 24, 2024
(re)New Piper here. I have a question for ye learned Pipers...

I purchased a new Peterson Deluxe Classic Terracotta Bent Rhodesian 999 P-Lip pipe. I love the look of the pipe -- really whet my appetite for Rhodesian/Bulldog-shapes, and I like overall how it is smoking so far. However, I have noticed that the finish is significantly transferring to my fingers when I smoke. Is this normal? It doesn't seem like something I should expect from a pipe of this caliber. Is there a way to 'fix' this issue without stripping the finish off the pipe?

On an unrelated topic I am not sure I like the P-Lip stem specifically. Wanting to explore my options, I enquired to Peterson about ordering replacement stems and they responded that the pipe must be sent back to the Dublin factory, where after twelve weeks (and €44) they would send it back with a non-P-lip stem. Granted I am new to the pastime, but I was thinking that factory pipes would be made with a series of 'standard' stems and should be swappable? Is my pipe that custom?

Any help appreciated.

IMG_4125.png

• Wow
Reactions: AroEnglish

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I suppose it all depends on how well you want the replacement to fit. Were I you and, I'm not, I'd have Peterson replace with a properly fitted bit. Or, you could hire someone to build you a replacement.

The dye transfer? A normal occurrence. There is no coating over the dye, excess will transfer.

Reactions: Manawydan

Manawydan

Lurker
Apr 24, 2024
I suppose it all depends on how well you want the replacement to fit. Were I you and, I'm not, I'd have Peterson replace with a properly fitted bit. Or, you could hire someone to build you a replacement.

The dye transfer? A normal occurrence. There is no coating over the dye, excess will transfer.
Thanks for the reply and info! Being new, it is helpful to hear from this community.