PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

trudger

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2019
‘Burbs of Detroit
It must have been made by a “native Coloradan/Coloradoan” from Wisconsin. They put that stuff on everything and it’s everywhere.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Y’all will think I’m crazy.

When I used to live in South Dakota, my roommate was the manager at a local Subway. This was back when they would actually make a decent meal and the folks cared - or at least they did at this store.

At any rate, at the end of the night they’d pitch anything that didn’t sell. They had bags of beer cheese soup and he’d always put one on at the end lunch time knowing it wouldn’t sell in its entirety by the end of the day. He’d also bake a few batches of chocolate chip cookies really late in the day.

For three guys splitting rent at an old farmhouse and spending every nickel we had on beer and shotgun shells, having that free meal walk through the door each night in the middle of duck season was a godsend. I still remember that stuff. I think it had something to do with sitting in that heated tub all day long and how the soup around the edge got a little crispy and then kinda re-melted back into the soup when we ate it. Like beer cheese soup with beer cheese crispies in it. Mmmmmmm.

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
Y’all will think I’m crazy.

When I used to live in South Dakota, my roommate was the manager at a local Subway. This was back when they would actually make a decent meal and the folks cared - or at least they did at this store.

At any rate, at the end of the night they’d pitch anything that didn’t sell. They had bags of beer cheese soup and he’d always put one on at the end lunch time knowing it wouldn’t sell in its entirety by the end of the day. He’d also bake a few batches of chocolate chip cookies really late in the day.

For three guys splitting rent at an old farmhouse and spending every nickel we had on beer and shotgun shells, having that free meal walk through the door each night in the middle of duck season was a godsend. I still remember that stuff. I think it had something to do with sitting in that heated tub all day long and how the soup around the edge got a little crispy and then kinda re-melted back into the soup when we ate it. Like beer cheese soup with beer cheese crispies in it. Mmmmmmm.
Reminds me of when I worked at Tim Horton's as a baker when I was a kid, back when they baked everything in store. The old lady Eileen that worked at night would package up the old chili with tasty crust ring and the now near-jerky processed chicken "breast" for me to take home to my starving terminally WOW-addicted roomates. I was the only non-gamer in the house (coincidentally the only one with a girlfriend too lol).

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Common issues with beer cheese soup include grittiness, lack of depth, and mouth feel where it is either too thin (watery) or thick (like queso).

Vinegar is key and a healthy splash of hot sauce is virtually mandatory. An IPA or brown ale is recommended.

I wish you all luck as it is a difficult soup to make. Michigan has many craft breweries and beer cheese soup is often a staple (along with chili and soft pretzels).

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Common issues with beer cheese soup include grittiness, lack of depth, and mouth feel where it is either too thin (watery) or thick (like queso).

Vinegar is key and a healthy splash of hot sauce is virtually mandatory. An IPA or brown ale is recommended.

I wish you all luck as it is a difficult soup to make. Michigan has many craft breweries and beer cheese soup is often a staple (along with chili and soft pretzels).
Number of recipes out there. Traditional German ones with roux to just dump cream and be done with it. Sounds very interesting. Cheese, roux and beer.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
This appears to be a decent base recipe. I would add onions, garlic, and more hot sauce than just a dash while possibly omitting the peppers.and swapping the chicken stock for beef stock. The blending is dependent on taste and garnishment optional.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
We make ours with carrots, celery and double the Worcestershire. The best was from the restaurant in the former Heileman Brewery that closed decades ago. Nothing I’ve had since comes close.

Noiwiun

Lurker
Apr 1, 2023
This is the first time I've heard of it. But my love of beer just obliges me to try this dish)