PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
They run from quite nice (I have several and smoke them a lot) to embarrassingly bad.

My guess, since Castello is a mini-factory and not a person, that staff turnover and corresponding fluctuations in experience, skill, QA, etc. is the culprit. Orders must be filled and everything else follows, in other words.

Be especially wary of deep bent designs---I've seen some truly horrid Oom Paul type stuff. I'd also avoid any pipe with a shank extension. They don't seem to understand how to properly execute the design either materials-wise or layout-wise. I've been sent a LOT of them over the years.

Here's an example:

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
IMO some of the changes in the post Hallco era is that they stopped stamping shape numbers on the pipes and the standard shapes have sometimes gotten pretty loose. The draw has opened up significantly. It’s gone from sometimes to tight to sometimes to wide open. They’ve experimented with some different rustication techniques too and It seems like there’s significant size inflation every 10 years. What a KKKK was 20 some years ago jumped to a G and might be a GG now.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Searock Fan - that's the oldest Castello I remember seeing!

I've seen some pretty shoddy Castello's at East Coat shops, some, as George points out, embarassingly bad

I learned to buy Castellos from the Italian vendors - they seem to get the pick of the litter and prices, even with shipping are more then competitive. I prize the smaller Castello's (KK), that also seem to be availabe only in Europe.

A good Castello is a thing to behold and smoke.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I do love the deep and craggy SeaRocks, but their designs just don’t fall into the shapes I collect. Never owned one. But, I do like seeing pictures.
I've always had the same problem. I love the finish but none ever end up being a shape I want. One Canadian was really nice but the draught hole was a half inch above the bottom of the chamber so I passed.

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
Until my love for Danish consumed me, I was a sold out Castello and Pete guy. Now smoking comfort for me is spelled, "Danish." But I recall my first love that was Castello some 40plus yrs ago :) The craggier the better for my taste. But I have pulled the trigger on a few smooth ones from time to time :)
kindly
mike

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Searock Fan - that's the oldest Castello I remember seeing!

I've seen some pretty shoddy Castello's at East Coat shops, some, as George points out, embarassingly bad

I learned to buy Castellos from the Italian vendors - they seem to get the pick of the litter and prices, even with shipping are more then competitive. I prize the smaller Castello's (KK), that also seem to be availabe only in Europe.

A good Castello is a thing to behold and smoke.
I can tell you for sure, that based on personal experience in Italy, the the Italian dealers "do" get first choice.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
They run from quite nice (I have several and smoke them a lot) to embarrassingly bad.

My guess, since Castello is a mini-factory and not a person, that staff turnover and corresponding fluctuations in experience, skill, QA, etc. is the culprit. Orders must be filled and everything else follows, in other words.

Be especially wary of deep bent designs---I've seen some truly horrid Oom Paul type stuff. I'd also avoid any pipe with a shank extension. They don't seem to understand how to properly execute the design either materials-wise or layout-wise. I've been sent a LOT of them over the years.

Here's an example:

Cool. Now I don't feel that bad that I'll never own one.

Reactions: JOHN72