PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

aztecbull

Might Stick Around
Aug 31, 2023
discovering this thread makes my day, I love Castello pipes, I have 3 of them and they all smoke like a dream, I have been keeping myself to get more but that's not a easy job.

Reactions: AroEnglish

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
Oh wow that sounds amazing, especially that chair! Did you take any photos while you were there?
Sadly the videos I made that had those images are gone. Sorry
I’ve never seen the chair but I have this very cool textured card stock folio with drawings, glossy photos and leather samples in the collection.
View attachment 249307View attachment 249308
Thanks Dave. The one that was at the workshop was deep burgundy in color. When Marco and I walked in, we just laid out jackets over the chairs arms, as you would if you came home. Then I noticed to arm sides being open and Franco explained what the chair was designed for. I really wanted to bring it home with me. See you in a few weeks at the show!!

• Love
Reactions: AroEnglish

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
I hadn't added a new pipe to my collection in years, but the other day a new pipe smoking friend came over for a visit. It was his first time here so he was looking around. After some looking he picked up one of my pipes and kind of went crazy for it. I was surprised as to me it was not anything special. I told him I wasn't interested in selling any pipes and figured that was that.

We finally sat down to have a smoke and a chat. He opened his pipe case and pulled out 2 pipes. The first one I don't remember what it was, but the second one caught my eye. I looked it over and remarked what a nice pipe it was and I think I said something about "I wish I had one like that". To my great surprise he responded saying he would swap it to me for the pipe of mine that he liked. I gave it a little thought and then agreed to the swap.

Below is the pipe I got, Old Antiquari, KKKK, and smokes dry and great. He told me the other day he is pleased with the one he got. puffy

inline (1) (Copy).jpg

inline (Copy).jpg

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Saw this thing last week and it's been on my mind..
An occhio di pernice (birdseye) - but am I missing something? Where's the birdseye?!
They want $600+ for this hunk?
Embarrassing.

Occhio di WUT

Wow, really sad, can’t believe the price... :(

Odd too, the first two pics are different colors, maybe taken in different lighting. Hopefully the pipe doesn’t actually look like that.

When I saw the first pic of the pipe, reminded of Genod, since Sebastian doesn’t typically use really nice looking briar, for the prices he sells pipes at.

Look at this Genod, better looking grain on it too.

I’ve seen many Genod looking better than that Castello.

Last edited:

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I forgot to say, you do occasionally see some nice looking Genod, and I have been waiting to find one.

I was pretty close to snagging that Pot, but I’m waiting for that Unicorn Genod... LOL 😆
You’ll have to battle the man from Alaska. He’s the one that got me checking the Genod drops.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
That being posted, I agree with many others that generally Castello pipes range from incredibly amazing to shockingly mediocre. You just have to examine them (as thoroughly as one can through the internet tubes anyway) carefully before committing.

Grain and shaping aside, I’ve never had any issue whatsoever with drilling or smokeability. The stems are acrylic these days, and like many I much prefer ebonite, but for me it’s not necessarily a deal-breaker.