PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
I can buy a handful of Savinellis for the same price as one Castello, so that's where I'l stay. It's really hard to justify spending 400$ on a small block of wood with a couple holes drilled in it.

I'm sure they are a great pipe, but holy hell that is a tough concept to wrap my head around.
I understand and I'm not going to try and change your mind, after all, I'm not trying to sell you one. I can tell you this, I own and smoke many of both brands. For English blends the Castello winds hands down. For aromatics I like the Savinelli filter pipes. Justifying the price is a personal thing.

spike

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2009
I acquired my first Castello at the PCI show in Cherry Hill NJ in 1989. A Sea Rock bent Dublin. Loved it and bought about seven more through the years, eventually traded them all, and then got an Old Antiquari and flame grain large bent dublin at the Columbus show in 2018. Won’t trade them now. Fine pipes.

• Love
Reactions: Smoke Queen

NC TX ID pipeman

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 25, 2021
North Carolina,Texas,Idaho
My only Castello was bought used and it is a smooth OOM Paul...I like its shape compared to other Castello OOM Pauls they are big differences in their similar shapes..it smokes OK but not as good as my 30s Comoy oom paul..Castello stem button is quite thick and it is a nuisance..My honest opinion-it was not worth a price I paid for it but time will tell...

smokeymo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 1, 2020
AZ
I've got a few of them (60+) and most are from the 70s and 80s. They smoke fantastic. Never had any problem with them. They are so light and smoke incredibly cool. I think it is worth at least getting one to see what they are about. And if you don't enjoy it, they hold their value pretty well, just sell it and get a Ser Jac

dog_park_piper

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2021
The Woodlands, TX
I have some of their petite apple billiards. Great, sturdy little pipes. They don't make as much of a statement as Castello's othe pipes.

It's odd because Castello prides itself on being seen visually, be in for a pipe's size or the sea rock rustication.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
I have some of their petite apple billiards. Great, sturdy little pipes. They don't make as much of a statement as Castello's othe pipes.

It's odd because Castello prides itself on being seen visually, be in for a pipe's size or the sea rock rustication.

If is isn't too much trouble, I think we would all like to see some pictures of those. puffy

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
I've had quite a few Castellos over the years—nose warmers, shape 55s, hawkbills, etc. I gradually sold all of them except for one very beautiful shape 55 that I bought five or six years ago as an estate from Neat Pipes, and an occhio di pernice bent egg. I now have only greatlines, half purchased as estates from Smoking Pipes. Although they are large pipes, they are very comfortable and smoke beautifully. As far as I know, almost all greatlines are bents. I have never had a problem with them in any way. Castellos have a deep archive of aged briar that must be unmatched in quality. They are instantly recognizable. If you like their shapes and finishes, I don't think you can go wrong with a Castello of any vintage.