4 Fresh Todd Johnson Pipes
24 Fresh Brigham Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Oct 7, 2016
Be especially wary of deep bent designs---I've seen some truly horrid Oom Paul type stuff
As a long time Castello fanboy, I hate to say that truer words were never typed. Otherwise, I have had good experiences with the quality of the briar and the workmanship.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
My only Castello was bought used and it is a smooth OOM Paul...I like its shape compared to other Castello OOM Pauls they are big differences in their similar shapes..it smokes OK but not as good as my 30s Comoy oom paul..Castello stem button is quite thick and it is a nuisance..My honest opinion-it was not worth a price I paid for it but time will tell...
The shape and leverage tend to put more pressure on the bottom of the lip against your teeth. They probably made it thicker in the bottom because of this. If you don't find it comfortable it's an easy fix. Just file it off some and polish it out. puffy

Reactions: NC TX ID pipeman

tfdickson

Lifer
May 15, 2014
East End of Long Island
I've had quite a few Castellos over the years—nose warmers, shape 55s, hawkbills, etc. I gradually sold all of them except for one very beautiful shape 55 that I bought five or six years ago as an estate from Neat Pipes, and an occhio di pernice bent egg. I now have only greatlines, half purchased as estates from Smoking Pipes. Although they are large pipes, they are very comfortable and smoke beautifully. As far as I know, almost all greatlines are bents. I have never had a problem with them in any way. Castellos have a deep archive of aged briar that must be unmatched in quality. They are instantly recognizable. If you like their shapes and finishes, I don't think you can go wrong with a Castello of any vintage.

I agree that almost all Great Lines are bents, but not all. Here is one of mine, a Collection Great Line KKKK made in 2007. Roughly 6 5/8” x 2 7/8” with a 7/8“ bore.

C5EC8BA4-CB6B-4DE9-B509-FBB109553F39.png823CC384-2145-42CC-B11E-6D2A220F141E.png

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
I agree that almost all Great Lines are bents, but not all. Here is one of mine, a Collection Great Line KKKK made in 2007. Roughly 6 5/8” x 2 7/8” with a 7/8“ bore.

View attachment 123121View attachment 123122
That is a spectacular greatline! A true mitt-full. Are you able to comfortably clench it? Not that it's the end all and be all to be able to do so. I've just been pleasantly surprised at how comfortably the bent greatlines balance in the mouth.

Reactions: tfdickson

tfdickson

Lifer
May 15, 2014
East End of Long Island
That is a spectacular greatline! A true mitt-full. Are you able to comfortably clench it? Not that it's the end all and be all to be able to do so. I've just been pleasantly surprised at how comfortably the bent greatlines balance in the mouth.

Thanks @dunnyboy and @daveinlax !

At 110g it is definitely not one that I‘m going to even try to clench. I generally don’t clench my pipes anyway, almost all my smoking is done at the end of the day in a comfy chair, pipe rest on the table next to me. I used to think light weight was desirable in a pipe but I realized that it doesn‘t provide any advantages given how and where I smoke.

Reactions: dunnyboy and jpberg

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
Thanks @dunnyboy and @daveinlax !

At 110g it is definitely not one that I‘m going to even try to clench. I generally don’t clench my pipes anyway, almost all my smoking is done at the end of the day in a comfy chair, pipe rest on the table next to me. I used to think light weight was desirable in a pipe but I realized that it doesn‘t provide any advantages given how and where I smoke.
Now that you mention it, are these greatlines bent or are they straight LOL?IMG_5621.jpeg

Reactions: tfdickson

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Here's a Castello Opera shape. She's only 4.25" long with thin walls. Weighs almost nothing and the carving shows why the decided to call it Sea Rock. It's so sharp it feels like coral. Register and stamped 1948. Unsmoked.View attachment 105227
I just sent an email to Castello offering this pipe to them for their company collection. It will be interesting to see if they reply and what they have to say puffy

Attachments

• inline (1).jpg
    inline (1).jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 15
  • inline (2).jpg
    inline (2).jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 14
  • inline (3).jpg
    inline (3).jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 14
  • inline (4).jpg
    inline (4).jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 15
  • inline.jpg
    inline.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 15

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Another NON-bent Greatline:

PS -- the photo host site used years ago for those pics weirdly "drab-ified" colors all of a sudden... one day they were normal, the next day they looked like shit. No idea why, and now it's gone having left the shit behind. Anyway, be assured there's nothing wrong with your eyes. The pipe looks AMAZING with a correct/natural color balance.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
I just sent an email to Castello offering this pipe to them for their company collection. It will be interesting to see if they reply and what they have to say puffy
They replied this morning.

"thanks for writing us. Beautiful pipe but we don't buy on the market, sorry" That's it.

I didn't say anything about selling it to them. My intention was to donate it. Looks like they don't want it, so I guess I'll just keep it. I suspect my email got to the wrong person. Oh, well.... puffy

• Wow
Reactions: AroEnglish

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
They replied this morning.

"thanks for writing us. Beautiful pipe but we don't buy on the market, sorry" That's it.

I didn't say anything about selling it to them. My intention was to donate it. Looks like they don't want it, so I guess I'll just keep it. I suspect my email got to the wrong person. Oh, well.... puffy
You definitely got the wrong person. On behalf of Scotti family and Castello, I would be honored to receive this pipe.

• Haha
Reactions: RustiePyles CPG

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
That is a very cool old Castello!!! Glad your message was received by the correct person. FWIW, the pipes that are at Castello in the "not for sale" section are amazing. Lots of interesting experiments and unique pipes. A few that stuck with me ... a double bowl plateau rimmed freehand .... a rusticated Lovat that was about 10" long, a complete unsmoked set of Pipes of the Year, and so much more.....

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
That is a very cool old Castello!!! Glad your message was received by the correct person. FWIW, the pipes that are at Castello in the "not for sale" section are amazing. Lots of interesting experiments and unique pipes. A few that stuck with me ... a double bowl plateau rimmed freehand .... a rusticated Lovat that was about 10" long, a complete unsmoked set of Pipes of the Year, and so much more.....
Do they have this anywhere online?

yanoJL

Lifer
Oct 21, 2022
Pismo Beach, California
I have one Castello. It's relatively new (Old Antiquari line).
There is nothing wrong with it, but I don't think I'll be buying another one. I prefer other factory pipes where I can get lighter weight and thinner stems. Savinellis and, like @bullet08 said, Peterson.

20230920_162333.jpg

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
Do they have this anywhere online?
I wish!!!! Only those that visit the workshop get to see some of the things. You could spend a day and not take it all in. The one piece I wanted the most was a burgundy leather wingback chair, that had a pipe rest ( hidden ) in each arm rest. I did acquire an oval Castello side table with sliding top that housed ( hidden ) a 10 pipe rack. I had it here for over a year and it finally sold. I dearly wanted to keep it. When I was back this year I asked for another, but none remained and none were to be built. I think only 5 or 6 were ever made.

• Love
Reactions: AroEnglish

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I wish!!!! Only those that visit the workshop get to see some of the things. You could spend a day and not take it all in. The one piece I wanted the most was a burgundy leather wingback chair, that had a pipe rest ( hidden ) in each arm rest. I did acquire an oval Castello side table with sliding top that housed ( hidden ) a 10 pipe rack. I had it here for over a year and it finally sold. I dearly wanted to keep it. When I was back this year I asked for another, but none remained and none were to be built. I think only 5 or 6 were ever made.
Oh wow that sounds amazing, especially that chair! Did you take any photos while you were there?