PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Because they were talked up here, I bought a package of the smaller boxes. Mine were duds - kept breaking in half when I tried to strike them. So I'm one of the lucky smokers who didn't get hooked on them, and so isn't now disappointed.
Probably the Swedish product. I have never had a dud with the British ones. That's kind of surprising, but I guess the Brits did matches better than they did electrics, think Lucas Joseph Lucas – “The Prince of Darkness” | British Car Club of Western North Carolina - https://www.bccwnc.org/lucas-prince-of-darkness-jokes/.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
From the Swan home page:

Earlier this year, Republic Technologies (UK) Ltd completed a successful relaunch of its matches’ range, including new focus on the UK’s best-known match brands, new packaging and an extension to the Swan range, one of the UK’s most iconic accessory brands.

This major initiative included the removal of some match brands from Republic’s portfolio; England’s Glory, Scottish Bluebell, Vulcan, Ship Household and Brymay have now all been discontinued.

With an increased emphasis on affordability and quality, these products have been replaced with a new pocket-sized Swan match. The vibrant red box ensures additional shelf standout, making them more recognisable to consumers.

Previously, retailers had to buy 100 boxes of pocket matches per case from cash & carries. These new Swan Red 5E matches are available in 60 boxes per case, providing a more economical solution.

Other key elements of the relaunch included:

• Modernisation of the iconic Swan Vestas brand with a more contemporary image and a new, minimalist back of pack design, featuring impactful sustainability messaging
  • A celebrity chef partnership with Tom Kerridge for new-look Cook’s Matches, including a collection of delicious and inspiring back of pack recipes for today’s modern ‘foodie’ era
  • A new pack design for Bryant & May Extra Long matches, reinforcing the product’s positioning as ideal for lighting candles, open fires, log burners and BBQs, with new back of pack imagery reflecting key usage occasions and vibrant outer trays for better standout on shelf
  • Modernisation of Ship Matches, with a simplified, but striking design and more prominence given to ‘Ship’ branding
  • The removal of all Strike Anywhere match formats to align with EU regulations prohibiting the availability of chemicals required for Strike Anywhere Matches. A move that reflects the growing appeal of sustainability and increased demand for eco-friendly matches.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
  • The removal of all Strike Anywhere match formats to align with EU regulations prohibiting the availability of chemicals required for Strike Anywhere Matches. A move that reflects the growing appeal of sustainability and increased demand for eco-friendly matches.
Presumably this has something to do with the phosphor topped match heads being harvested for the process of making meth. That's one of the stories going around, despite a dearth of hard evidence. Then again, people seem to be fond of blindly accepting stories with no factual evidence, so no surprise there.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I played with matches as a kid. Too many times a bit of burning phosphor or whatever would fly off. Fortunately never in someone's eye or skin. I do not weep over the extinction of light-everywheres. And kitchen matches waste too much wood and are unwieldy for me.

Reactions: sablebrush52
Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I wasn't expecting an education on matches and their history, but now I consider myself well informed. LOL

As someone that rarely uses matches, I'm not bothered by this; however, if I had a very nice case for said matches and then they changed I would be upset somewhat. I would then just find another style of match that fit the case and go from there. If that didn't work, then I guess I would just carry around the box. Clearly not as nice as the case, but am I more interested in having a nice case for my matches when lighting my pipe or am I just interested in lighting my pipe.

With that said, I do like the older packaging and size more. Though the newer size would be better for lighting my cigars on those occasions I light my cigars with a match.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Presumably this has something to do with the phosphor topped match heads being harvested for the process of making meth. That's one of the stories going around, despite a dearth of hard evidence. Then again, people seem to be fond of blindly accepting stories with no factual evidence, so no surprise there.

I have known since I was a child that a strike anywhere match is more dangerous than a safety match, which is harder to ignite.

There is a chemical on the tip that is sensitive to much less friction, and can be used to make explosives.

My match bombs were all duds.:)

But a match shot from a BB gun usually goes bang if it hits the wall just right.:)

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
From the Swan home page:

Earlier this year, Republic Technologies (UK) Ltd completed a successful relaunch of its matches’ range, including new focus on the UK’s best-known match brands, new packaging and an extension to the Swan range, one of the UK’s most iconic accessory brands.

This major initiative included the removal of some match brands from Republic’s portfolio; England’s Glory, Scottish Bluebell, Vulcan, Ship Household and Brymay have now all been discontinued.

With an increased emphasis on affordability and quality, these products have been replaced with a new pocket-sized Swan match. The vibrant red box ensures additional shelf standout, making them more recognisable to consumers.

Previously, retailers had to buy 100 boxes of pocket matches per case from cash & carries. These new Swan Red 5E matches are available in 60 boxes per case, providing a more economical solution.

Other key elements of the relaunch included:

• Modernisation of the iconic Swan Vestas brand with a more contemporary image and a new, minimalist back of pack design, featuring impactful sustainability messaging
  • A celebrity chef partnership with Tom Kerridge for new-look Cook’s Matches, including a collection of delicious and inspiring back of pack recipes for today’s modern ‘foodie’ era
  • A new pack design for Bryant & May Extra Long matches, reinforcing the product’s positioning as ideal for lighting candles, open fires, log burners and BBQs, with new back of pack imagery reflecting key usage occasions and vibrant outer trays for better standout on shelf
  • Modernisation of Ship Matches, with a simplified, but striking design and more prominence given to ‘Ship’ branding
Or, in other words, fewer people smoke and they need to change direction to stay profitable. And people who smoke being more likely to use lighters. Or in other words we're not their prime customers anymore.

Last edited by a moderator: