PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
It has to be said. The emperor has no clothes. What a waste of good briar. Vanity has no bounds of turning natural beauty and wonder into trash. A pox on Marxman!

It's so obvious he hated natural (dare I say it, divine) beauty and wanted to scar it, twist it, ruin it, rape it, to stoke his vanity. How can one look at his pipes and not come to the conclusion that he hated, absolutely hated, anything good.
Yes, but Marx knew how to gold plate a :poop: and succeed in selling them at ludicrous prices.
Hats off to the man 😂

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
What do we know about the 400s?

It was the most expensive advertised and cataloged production pipe on the earth in 1937. Twenty five bucks then translates to about five hundred today, and they were in the worst economic depression the modern world has ever known. They were wildly expensive. Call them the big Packard of pipes, or a Duisenberg.

They were absolutely enormous pipes then, and still large by modern fashions. Some weigh over 100 grams, none are small.

They were the first factory freehand shaped pipes, a generation before the Danish made huge freehands, of different styles but the same way, one man shaping a pipe according to the grain.

We do not know how many he made. The Blue Book seems lost, likely forever. He sold a bunch of them, we do know.

And we don’t know, the grade standards for a 400. Was it just the largest hunks of briar, or did some get made into $15 next grade down “Big Boys” and smaller? Nobody yet has reported a skunky smoking 400, and the ads implied the 400 was selected for smoking qualities.

What made a block of briar grade a 400, and which ones made the stove, or cheaper pipes?

The last thing we don’t know is why are they so cheap?

Imagine if they were stamped Dunhill or even Kaywoodie, what they’d cost now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Toast and grimpeur

grimpeur

Might Stick Around
Oct 30, 2015
Toronto, ON, Canada
Packard? Duesenberg?? Invoking names which represented the pinnacle of both engineering and, in combination with coachbuilders, artistic mastery, as being analogous to these pipes just won't do.

What we have here is akin to the Cadillac Cimarron: a lot of sizzle, not much steak. It's somehow fitting that Marx used the services of a second-rate actor to advertise this line of pipes.

That said, they've provoked a certain fascination ever since I first laid eyes on pictures of them; I've never seen one in the flesh. "Lurid" is the word that springs to mind looking at these. I could see myself having one, just one, but faced with impending death, to avoid shame, I don't know what I'd do first: throw out my 400, or erase my browser history...

If nothing else, each example stands as a testament to Marx having had brass ones...

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Packard? Duesenberg?? Invoking names which represented the pinnacle of both engineering and, in combination with coachbuilders, artistic mastery, as being analogous to these pipes just won't do.

What we have here is akin to the Cadillac Cimarron: a lot of sizzle, not much steak. It's somehow fitting that Marx used the services of a second-rate actor to advertise this line of pipes.

That said, they've provoked a certain fascination ever since I first laid eyes on pictures of them; I've never seen one in the flesh. "Lurid" is the word that springs to mind looking at these. I could see myself having one, just one, but faced with impending death, to avoid shame, I don't know what I'd do first: throw out my 400, or erase my browser history...

If nothing else, each example stands as a testament to Marx having had brass ones...
Ignore the naysayers.

telescopes

Van typically loves to post only the most ugliest of pipes, but Marxman pipes can be and are often quite beautiful. I have no less than 10 beautiful Marxman pipes that would make any collector happy to smoke one in public.

I think the world of him, but I wish he would cease posting the ugh-mugs of the line up. You could do that with Custom-bilts as well if you wanted.

Bright Orange Red

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 10, 2024
Colorado, USA
My Four Hundred arrived today. I absolutely love it and have wanted one for a very long time. Serial number appears to be "F I".
Weight is 64.41 grams. Chamber is 1.67 inches deep and .91 inches across. Monster bowl...gives my House Pipe a run for its money, you know?

Going to load her up with some WCC American Cut Plug.
@telescopes @Briar Lee

Attachments

• 20240318_165144.jpg
    20240318_165144.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 5
  • 20240318_165152.jpg
    20240318_165152.jpg
    276 KB · Views: 6
  • 20240318_165209.jpg
    20240318_165209.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 6
  • 20240318_165217.jpg
    20240318_165217.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Ryan

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2021
Noblesville Indiana USA
My Four Hundred arrived today. I absolutely love it and have wanted one for a very long time. Serial number appears to be "F I".
Weight is 64.41 grams. Chamber is 1.67 inches deep and .91 inches across. Monster bowl...gives my House Pipe a run for its money, you know?

@telescopes @Briar Lee
Second time posted for this one. I posted it a while back on this thread and then changed my mind about it and sold it to smokingpipes. Glad to see it found the right home!

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri

@telescopes @Briar Lee

An observation

If 1937 pipes were an A prefix, this was the first 400 made in early 1942.

About the same time as this song came out.

I hope Bob Marx got delivery of his 1942 Packard

He’d have to wait until 1946 for another one.

Bright Orange Red

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 10, 2024
Colorado, USA
I know this isn't a Four Hundred but I think it fits here nonetheless. I was lucky enough to get a Robert Marx 50th Anniversary *unsmoked* freehand. It weighs 98 grams and sits in the left hand very comfortably. I dig the plateau and it has some nice grain. The tenon fits into the mortise at a very odd angle. I love it.

Attachments

• 20240401_163002.jpg
    20240401_163002.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 20240401_163013.jpg
    20240401_163013.jpg
    245 KB · Views: 7
  • 20240401_163026.jpg
    20240401_163026.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 20240401_163318.jpg
    20240401_163318.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 7

telescopes

The Marxman Four Hundred was my "White Whale". I caught it and then I caught it again. One was amazing. Two... well, two gave me time to reflect.

The first one was a well made pipe - a bit big, but overall, well made. Definitely not worth what I paid for it except to perhaps an interested collector of Marxman pipes.

The second one was smaller, easier to manage, but flawed in so many ways. In ways very representative of Marxman pipes.

The stem was not symmetrical from left side to right side. The gold band was poorly fitted. The pipe had a full one inch bore which means more surface area for tobacco to burn through a load - quickly.

There is more, but what is the point. A Marxman is a pipe with mediocrity written all about it when it comes to craftsmanship.

But not imagination. The pipe makers were very imaginative. But imagination does not equate to a well made pipe.

The funny thing is that the Marxman pipes I have all smoke well - some even great.

Not all Marxman pipes are created equally. Some are better than other.

I will never understand why they couldn't have made a $25 pipe look like a $25 pipe when it was sold in the 40s.

Clearly, Marx was a great marketer.

telescopes

@OzPiper

Thank you. It does a disservice to over exaggerate the merits of these pipes. I have a collection of older American made pipes and my Marxman pipes contribute to them in a positive way. But, there are many Marxman pipes out there that are simply not worth keeping and to be honest, I winch when I see those examples posted.

Marx contributed to the world of pipe smoking through interesting and creative adds, developing and marketing a type of freestyle pipe in a time when others simply didn't, and by developing the "slow smoke" pipe smoking contest.

His Four Hundred pipe advertising scheme was based on the Blue Book, a listing of the top 400 hundred socialites in New York City. I am sure people paid big bucks to have their name on that list and back then $25 for a pipe just to have your name listed in a blue book no one would ever see was quite a bit of money as well.

But for the most part, his pipes did smoke well.

Not, though, as some would have you believe.

I've always said they were a better than average mediocre pipe but for some unknown reason, I find myself gravitating for them more so than my other pipes.

I suppose that speaks more for them than anything.

I am thrilled that there are now many more Marxman smokers on this forum. The brand made its mark and contributions and is not forgotten.

Bright Orange Red

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 10, 2024
Colorado, USA
Well said @telescopes I collect Marxmans but I'm pretty picky. Some (quite a few) of Marxman pipes are just god awful ass ugly. All of my Marxmans are great smokers and I enjoy their heft and how they sit in the hand. Are they the best pipes ever made? Absolutely not. But like telescopes said, they're above average mediocre pipes, I'd even say well above average. I'm always on the lookout for Four Hundreds, Royals, Jumbos, and Imperials.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
His Four Hundred pipe advertising scheme was based on the Blue Book, a listing of the top 400 hundred socialites in New York City. I am sure people paid big bucks to have their name on that list and back then $25 for a pipe just to have your name listed in a blue book no one would ever see was quite a bit of money as well.

<< Snipped bits out >>
No one paid anything to be on that list. Some might pay to be left out of it. There are remnants of that list, but it's virtually irrelevant except for a handful of self-absorbed throwbacks.

Reactions: grimpeur

telescopes

Well said @telescopes I collect Marxmans but I'm pretty picky. Some (quite a few) of Marxman pipes are just god awful ass ugly. All of my Marxmans are great smokers and I enjoy their heft and how they sit in the hand. Are they the best pipes ever made? Absolutely not. But like telescopes said, they're above average mediocre pipes, I'd even say well above average. I'm always on the lookout for Four Hundreds, Royals, Jumbos, and Imperials.
I have a Royal with a gold band. It is a most unusual Marxman. It looks like they might at one time considered making it a 400. PM if you are interested.

• Love
Reactions: Bright Orange Red