PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Zamora

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2023
Olympia, Washington
I had a Stillwell Star Bayou and I found it to be a decent Nicaraguan stick but I couldn't taste any of the Virginia or Perique in it. I'm still pretty new to pipe smoking and even newer to VaPers and I'm wondering if I should've waited longer before trying it. Has anybody had anything from Stillwell Star? I'm curious if the pipe tobaccos in them really make a difference or it's just a marketing gimmick. Don't get me wrong I thought the Bayou was a good smoke, just not worth the $20 I paid for it.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
It's a gimmick and way overpriced at that. You've got to stop and think - if cigar and pipe tobacco work well together, why hasn't that been extensively marketed through the years? I posit because it doesn't work, according to the market's tastes.

For me, cigars and pipes are very different experiences and I have very, very rarely smoked cigars and pipes on the same day - each seems to prime my palate in a different direction so I'll pick one and that's what I'm having that day.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
I had the Navy and enjoyed it. Performed well, had a long burn time and overall was pleased with it.

As someone who smokes a handful of cigars a year, I'd smoke one again.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Never heard of Stillwell cigars but you paid a hefty price for it. There are very few cigars that are used in pipe tobaccos, but there are a few. I think as inexperienced as you are you ought to just sort out what you like about pipes and what you like about cigars and don't confuse the two.

Reactions: pantsBoots

Zamora

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2023
Olympia, Washington
It's a gimmick and way overpriced at that. You've got to stop and think - if cigar and pipe tobacco work well together, why hasn't that been extensively marketed through the years? I posit because it doesn't work, according to the market's tastes.

For me, cigars and pipes are very different experiences and I have very, very rarely smoked cigars and pipes on the same day - each seems to prime my palate in a different direction so I'll pick one and that's what I'm having that day.
I'm rather fond of Drew's Deadwood brand which uses cavendish, but the most expensive of those is like twelve bucks for a gordo.
Never heard of Stillwell cigars but you paid a hefty price for it. There are very few cigars that are used in pipe tobaccos, but there are a few. I think as inexperienced as you are you ought to just sort out what you like about pipes and what you like about cigars and don't confuse the two.
Yeah there's a few a well regarded pipe blends that use cigar leaf but the reverse is rather rare unless you count Black n Milds. I definitely know the different reasons I like the two, and they are fundamentally different experiences.

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
Interesting concept but they fell short of the mark in my opinion. Also, as mentioned above, the price is too high for what they are.