PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Re: Debit Cards— I use mine only for ATM deposits and withdrawals. Used to use it at Safeway before ATMs were everywhere, but that was several cards and numbers ago. Maybe ten or so.

I think this is safer, as only the bank would have a chance to misuse my Debit card- and pretty sure they check for card readers on their machines!

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
If it's a Visa based card, when you get it changed, you might need to tell them to also rescind all V-something or other. I forget what it's called, but basically if you use it, it's like a saved chache thing where it's previously authorized automatic approval—like a login cookie kind of, but for purchases? I don't even remember now if this is something specific to online purchases or not.

I tried to look it up but I can't find it. Other cards may have something similar. Anyway it's some thing that allows your card to be processed faster at a place you've previously used it, like a prior authorization, and if someone gets ahold of that, they can use it to make purchases without even having the new card number.

Had that happen to me, that's what it took to prevent further theft attempts (hadn't even used the new card after a fraud attempt when another had been attempted). This was a bank-issued credit card though, not sure if that matters or if it would also apply to a non-bank issued credit card. Though it might have been my bank-issued debit card (which is also Visa).

Just, ask about it, maybe they'll know what I'm talking about. Or maybe someone else here will know what I am talking about. It's a thing though.

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
Well, I can't edit my previous post, but I finally found what I was talking about...

For Visa, it's called VSC ("Visa Safe Click"), and it has something to do specifically with online shopping from an Android, but I can't seem to find direct information about it, but I know that was what the problem was when my card info was stolen before. They issued me a new card with a new number and before I used it, they attempted fraud again on the new card by using the VSC information, which apparently transferred from the old to new card.

Anyway, maybe find out if that's a thing.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
And if the vendor has but one shady person!

My question had more to do with a Debit Card vs. Credit Cards. Difference in risk? I now use a Debit Card only at the bank's ATM.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
If you do need to carry your ATM debit/credit card with you ...get an RFID wallet. Most thefts are the result of a scanner in the parking lot reading your cards through your wallet (or on the gas pump itself use cash to buy gas).

Reactions: sablebrush52

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Since my CC's and Debit cards are in a stack of 5-6 in my wallet, wouldn't that screw up a reader?

And would not a reader on a gas pump be somewhat obvious? Academic for me, as 95+% of the time I fill up locally at the same place.

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
One more suggestion is to NOT save your credit or debit card data on any site. Sites are constantly hacked and such data sold on the Dark Web. There is not one, NOT ONE, secure site online.
And while on the subject, never use any card online while connected to public WIFI.

The one time I wasn't thinking and did so is the one time I had an issue with my card. I've been lucky so far that it hasn't been ripped at a gas station or something. Though it helps I only use major brand stations in decent areas (Shell, BP, Exxon, etc). It's not a guarantee someone didn't put a reader in the machine, but a good station is more likely to keep up with regularly checking their card readers for tampering. Some stations have a policy in some places to check several times per day from what I understand.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Since my CC's and Debit cards are in a stack of 5-6 in my wallet, wouldn't that screw up a reader?

And would not a reader on a gas pump be somewhat obvious? Academic for me, as 95+% of the time I fill up locally at the same place.
No and No. The modern scanners will read all 5 or 6 cards and the scanner on the pump fits over and looks like the slot you enter your card to pay so you would not even notice the extra 1/4 to 1.3rd thickness...these guys are pros with high tech equipment not just kids. Think NASA style tech ... and it will get worse as some foreign countries are behind this fraud and have been for years. It only gets worse as the internet has become so widespread and forcibly required just to buy a cup of coffee ! I believe the Secret Service has a website which has alerts to scams so does FBI and now State and local police are getting better at putting out alerts.
The Grandma I need bail money scam just hit my town last year ... that would never have flown in my family ... they'd get the "What did you do wrong now ???" "You probably deserve it!" response. (We all knew where everyone was anyway and had procedures for those situations - both of my parents grew up both in the depression and in inner city areas and were highly astute as to the ways of the world and shared it with us to protect us as kids --- I am still very lucky and grateful!)