PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AverageSmoker

Lurker
Apr 9, 2024
Philippines
I dont know why i cant taste my tobacco. I tried briar fox and the bengal slices. I cant taste much of either. I'm not experiencing tounge bites also.

Any remedies? Thanks!

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Just like food, everyone experiences tobacco differently. If those tobaccos aren't providing you with anything try something different.

FWIW any tobacco smoked to hot/fast will end up pretty muted flavor wise. Personally I don't get much of anything out of many VA blends.

Try something with a little Latakia or Oriental in it.

AverageSmoker

Lurker
Apr 9, 2024
Philippines
Just like food, everyone experiences tobacco differently. If those tobaccos aren't providing you with anything try something different.

FWIW any tobacco smoked to hot/fast will end up pretty muted flavor wise. Personally I don't get much of anything out of many VA blends.

Try something with a little Latakia or Oriental in it.
Gotchu, I have a double press latakia here. Will try it also. Thanks!

Reactions: RustiePyles CPG
Yes, almost everyone has goner through this beginning period, where we get frustrated that we cannot detect flavors in the smoke. Some never do.
But, be patient. In the beginning, most just smoke once a day or so, so it is more difficult to develop a palate for the different flavors.
Smoke slow, even if you feel like you are smokeing slow, smoke slower...
Relish your tongue in the smoke in your mouth, let it roll around, play with it.
Your nose is the biggest factor in tasting, revel in the aromas.
Fill several pipes with different blends, smoke them all, a puff of this, drink of water, a puff of that, etc... smoking several back to back will help you build a tasting vocabulary. This latakia is more smoky than that one, more leathery tasting. This Virginia is more fruity tasting than that one, etc...

If you are smoking aromatics meant to be smelled more than tasted, it will take a lot longer to build a tasting vocabulary. It is a difficult genre for anyone, especially in the beginning of smoking. Not sure what to tell you on that one. If you are determined to taste them, then it will be a lot like banging your head on a wall. Most experienced smokers just get a waxy taste from aros. But, some only ever smoke them. You might need someone who smokes these exclusively to help you out there.

Just keep at it, and it may come to you. If not, then you'll have to find some other reason to continue smoking pipes, if that is what you do.

Me, I went on to wine tasting, tobacco growing, and I even joined a local bourbon club to enjoy tasting those with new found friends who enjoy the same. For me, once I got into tasting, I wanted to try tasting everything more closely.
I hope you find what will make you happy in the pipe hobby. Or, just enjoy your newfound addiction to nicotine, ha ha.

Careful now

Sweet mamma! Now I’m all worked up…
Paul Creasy, who used to be the CEO of Sutliff was on one of the very early PipesMagazine Radioshows. He talked about letting your tongue play in the smoke. I sort of took that from him. It was very useful for me. Ha ha, but it does sound sort of... depraved in a way, ha ha

TakeThisCobAndStuffIt

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 5, 2023
Tidewater, VA
Ruling out things like COVID and allergies...If you used to be able to taste them and now can't, it may be palate fatigue. Especially if you smoked a bunch immediately preceding this loss of taste. I discovered Latakia. Went crazy for it. Smoked it to the point that I could not taste anything any more except for sweet things. I had to lay off the Latakia and discovered VAs at that time. I still enjoy a good smoky latakia, but now it is very infrequent. Took me almost a month of not touching it before I could taste it again.

AverageSmoker

Lurker
Apr 9, 2024
Philippines
Ruling out things like COVID and allergies...If you used to be able to taste them and now can't, it may be palate fatigue. Especially if you smoked a bunch immediately preceding this loss of taste. I discovered Latakia. Went crazy for it. Smoked it to the point that I could not taste anything any more except for sweet things. I had to lay off the Latakia and discovered VAs at that time. I still enjoy a good smoky latakia, but now it is very infrequent. Took me almost a month of not touching it before I could taste it again.
Well, my point of comparison when it comes to taste with tobaccos are vapes... so is that wrong?

Well, my point of comparison when it comes to taste with tobaccos are vapes... so is that wrong?
Yehhhhh, vapes are a flavor suspended in a liquid that is vaporized. It was designed to be more easily tasted. So... you weren't ever able to taste tobaccos? If so, please revert back to my previous post. Slow down, be patient, and it may eventually come to you. But, not everyone develops the ability to taste the smoke. Some just smoke to satiate their need for nicotine. I do bath.

InWithBothFeet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2024
Richmond, KY
It's not going to be a flavor bomb. It's nuance that you learn to pick out of the smoke. I smoked some Pirate Kake yesterday.. 75% latakia. It was certainly different than the vanilla virginia I smoked the day before, but my brain wasn't going.... oh, this is leathery etc etc. I've decided to take some advise I got here and find a blend that I enjoy and just go with it instead of trying to analyze everything which is my tendency. For me, for the moment, it's peter stokkebye english oriental supreme.

Btw, I both smelled and tasted that pirate kake campfire 2 hours later when I showered. It really lays the funk on you. 🤣

Reactions: AverageSmoker