PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sapo59

Can't Leave
Dec 29, 2009
Sound like a good group of people to put up a fight. I agree the anti-tobacco legislation is slowly moving toward "prohibition" and the time to fight back is now.

jonesing

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 11, 2010
Well the way I understand it NATO is supporting further restrictions on tobacco sales.
"NATO, Minneapolis, supports the PACT Act because it would enact the following provisions into law:
* Require payment of state and local cigarette and tobacco taxes on Internet sales.

* Regulate delivery methods, including age verification of the person at a residence.

* Prohibit the U.S. Postal Service from delivering cigarettes and smokeless tobacco products to consumers through the U.S. Mail.

* Give the Federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) the authority to inspect records and inventories of Internet tobacco sellers.

* Increase the penalty for violating federal tobacco regulatory laws from a misdemeanor to a felony."
http://www.cspnet.com/ME2/Audiences/dirmod.asp?sid=&nm=&type=Publishing&mod=Publications%3A%3AArticle&mid=8F3A7027421841978F18BE895F87F791&tier=4&id=952B4EF84BEE485481CFC18D481AE162&AudID=6C81F2B488CE41838BC84AF1AE2AF9CD
I see the point that the avoidance of state taxation on internet sales makes it an unlevel field. I don't object to a system that requires collection of state taxes for online purchase and I live in TX where the tax is simply crippling. It will cost me a lot. But hey If I don't like it I can move right? And it does only seem right.
A little hidden nugget in the bill is that it will pretty much eliminate all online sales of cigarettes by putting an end to USPS shipping. The major private carriers (FedEx, UPS, etc) have already volunteered to stop shipping cigarettes. At least that's my understanding.
Bottom line though is I personally believe NATO is selling out to the man to protect their membership interests. A national association of tobacco sellers should not be calling up and supportign bill tha tlimit tobacco access by informed adults.
They might be better off providing business development training for their members about succeeding in the virtual market place.
To me this smells a little like blacksmiths suing Henry Ford or Newspapers seeking bans on internet news feeds.
The market changes and you have to keep up. Pipes and Cigars is a perfect example of an established Brick and Mortar thriving with an internet sales operation as well.
Again, just my 2 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.